76008Re: [softrock40] Re: Sound Card Recommendations

  • Adam Jacobs
    Dec 19, 2013
      Meh. I'm with Alan, you really don't need the golden sample soundcard.
      I'm an evangelist for the Soundblaster Live! cards, myself. 16-bit & 48khz, about $5. Unfortunately, they only work under Windows XP.
      The Audigy 2 series is a good solution, I think. 24-bit 96khz and works under Windows 7.
      Don't bother with the Audigy 1, it was actually a 16-bit 48khz card.

      The 96khz bandwidth is really only needed on the rockbound softrocks in my opinion.

      -73 Adam W7QI

      On 12/19/2013 8:56 AM, bill.bathgate@... wrote:

      Cliff,

      I have given up on the Softrock RXTX due to the complications of "the right sound card". It seems the Flex Recommended sound cards are rare and cost more than the Softrock RXTX itself, plus given your set up and using a unsupported card I found I needed two sound cards to really make it all work.

      Then I built and Peaberry V2 and found it much easier to deal with because it has the sound-card in the USB connection which removes the conglomeration of cables the multiple sound cards required. I am not knocking the Softrock RXTX design, when it worked it was excellent. I have sold all 3 of my RXTX SDR radios and replaced them with a pair of Peaberry V2's. They perform equally as the RXTX with a lot less cabling.

      The Softrock RXTX plus the new multiple sound card investments made it cheaper to use the Peaberry V2.

      If you can get your hands on a Delta 44 that is the best bet, but finding one at a low cost is hard to do.
      Bill
      KD8IGK

    • Show all 42 messages in this topic