72408Re: How does one set up the Ensemble RXTX transmit?

  • joelweder
    Feb 24 7:44 AM
      Further comments...

      I've just read another post that notes PowerSDR 2.x.x won't work if I want to plug my paddles directly in to the SoftRock. That's a shame, as I hate using obsolete software when there's a shiny new version waiting for me! I have a serial port paddle interface so will try that.

      There's a LOT of discussion about how to configure Rocky to ensure the radio doesn't over-drive on Tx. But so far I haven't seen anything about how to do that in PowerSDR. I've found the PA Settings tab in Setup but they seem to be aimed at calibrating a 100 watt Flex radio not a 1-2 watt Softrock. Can anyone make suggestions about how this must be done, or does PowerSDR manage it automatically, or?

      Joel VE6EI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "joelweder" <jweder@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dave and all,
      >
      > I'm using a PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL. It's an external USB device, a 2 track recording interface for musicians. Not ideal but I needed it for other projects anyway. It's got 96 kHz bandwidth which is good enough for my uses. My Dell Studio XPS 8000 also has a Soundblaster x-Fi Xtreme audio card which should suffice for mic in & audio out to my ears.
      >
      > The Dell has a Core i7 cpu running Win7, 8 GB RAM at 2.8 GHz. It should suffice for PowerSDR but Rocky is out except for simple experiments. I've had strange results with Rocky, and I know it's meant for WinXP or older. (A real shame, would be great to see a Win7 version someday!)
      >
      > I'm using PowerSDR 2.4.4 by Christos. This is one of the real areas of confusion for me. Every time I get online I see someone recommending a different version. Some posts (older ones) say that only version 1.x.x works well, and I've wondered if I must stick with an otherwise obsolete version to allow me to have full use of the Softrock RxTx.
      >
      > I have gotten so far as to send test tones as well, getting almost 3 watts out at 40 metres and 2 watts at 20 metres. My biggest concern right now is avoiding overdriving, but I haven't found good instructions from Christos about how to set up his version of PowerSDR to avoid that. Time for more reading...
      >
      > Joel, VE6EI
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9gpm" <goofy_36@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Joel
      > >
      > > We'll I'll take a stab at helping you with your radio. Like the others have said, it's a very much dig in and learn it all yourself kind of thing.
      > >
      > > So first things first.
      > >
      > > What kind of sound card are you using and what version of PowerSDR?
      > >
      > > For reference, I've seemed to have the best luck with PowerSDRc2.4.4 for homemade rigs. At least so far since I'm still trying different combinations out. I'm also using the E-mu 0202 USB sound card.
      > >
      > > Also, I'm still testing things on mine and haven't done much more than do the tone tests to confirm the PA section is working.
      > >
      > > 73's
      > > Dave KB9GPM
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "joelweder" <jweder@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > Strange thing but this thread seems to have gone dead! I too am now at the point where I want to start transmitting with my Softrock. It seems nobody is willing to put down on paper (so to speak) the process they've followed. Is this an initiation of some sort? Don't get into the secret society unless you can figure out how to get your softrock to transmit with PowerSDR or whatever?

> [...]
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic