71875Re: [softrock40] Re: Quick question about winding Transformers

  • Fred Moore
    Jan 22, 2013
      Robby, Thanks for taking the time to do some updating.  when you say bifilar I understand that as two wires, with all of the documentation out there and comments on the list I find myself wondering:  when you say a length are the instructions always talking total length required and bifilar always means then bent in half before winding, also when you way bifilar are you talking 3 twists per inch?  I think these type of things are causing people difficulty.  I know in my case (very knowledgeable  I find myself reading several time just to make sure I understand what is required..   Perhaps general things like this should be stated at the beginning of the build.

      Just last night I realized that I had two sizes of wire, didn't notice there was a difference other than color.  so I have wound 3 inductors with the wrong size.  How did this happen, I missed it when reading, also the "finished pictures" showed red wire.  when complete the rxtx I will decide if the inductance change because of wire size will effect performance.  I have all of the test equipment required to analze this.. its just an irritance at this point, but am enjoying myself..  regards.. Fred

      On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM, R. R. (Robby) Robson <rrrobson@...> wrote:

      I have modified the build instructions such that, in each step calling for the installation of an inductor, I print out an expanded winding instruction.  For example, in the step calling for the installation of the T5 transformer in the RXTX Ensemble, the instruction is:

      "T5
      XFRMR: 0.6uH: 14T/2x7T bifilar #30 on T25-6 (yellow) 8"
      Primary: Using approximately 9 inches of #30 wire, wind 14 turns on a T25-6 (yellow) ferrite.
      Secondary: Using a total of 9 inches of #30 wire, wind 7 turns , bifilar, on the ferrite in the same direction as the primary winding. Inductance of the single winding (usually the primary) is 0.60 uH."

      The instructions are computer-generated and may have rounding errors in the computed wire lengths (e.g., in the above the shorthand version says 8"; the generated version says 9").  I conservatively round up.

      If you are not seing this in the build instructions, please refresh the page in your browser (F5) to remove any cached older pages.

      I am open to suggestions as to how I should re-program the instruction generation algorithms for more clarity.

      Since I maintain this website and its associated infrastructure at no cost to the consumer of its instructions and receive no compensation for any of my labors or outlays, I am somewhat limited by my other commitments in my ability to respond as promptly as some might otherwise wish.