71837Re: Quick question about winding Transformers

  • joelweder
    Jan 21, 2013
      Hi Alan and all,

      I read that page several times before sending my first email, but it does not deal with how to interpret this very cryptic statement:

      0.69uH: 16T/2x8T bifilar #30 on T25-6 (yellow) 9" (top)

      As this sort of statement is used in the build instructions it would be a very good idea to show the poor suffering (non scientist!) ham builder how to interpret it. Preferably right there in the build notes, not off on some link elsewhere. (the page already has all sorts of information, so why not add this?)

      Look at this: "16T/2x8T" How are we to interpret this? 16 turns divided by 2? Multiplied by 8 turns? A little English goes a long way to clearing up confusion. After a lot of extra reading in this forum I THINK I've figured it out:

      16 turns of #30 on a T25-6, using 9" of wire.
      Then take another 9" of wire (not mentioned in the instructions) and cut it in two. Twist the resulting two pieces together then add to the T25-6 as 8 turns overlapping the 16 turns already added.

      In the specific step in question the text in the "Component Top/Bottom" column could be changed to something like:

      16T #30 9", 8T bifilar 2x4.5" #30, on T25-6 (yellow)(top)

      Using text that minimizes confusion results in a lot fewer questions on the forum, lower stress level for those involved, and a higher success ratio on the project.

      I realize that lots of volunteers have been doing their best on this over a period of several years, but when you get too close to the project you can lose perspective and think that something like "0.69uH: 16T/2x8T bifilar #30 on T25-6 (yellow) 9" (top)" makes total sense to everyone...

      Joel VE6EI