70315Re: RxTx Ensemble no problem!

  • Tim G3PJD
    Nov 22, 2012
      Hi Chris

      Nice to hear from you. I missed your posting because of the way my copy of Thunderbird is configured.

      We should indeed be QRV together soon, although I find that if I hit the ether I just go to sleep.

      I am building for 15/12/10 mostly because I have an as yet unused Elecraft 6 metre transverter that I would like to try. Unfortunately we don't share any bands with our Softrocks, but I do have conventional tx rx capabilities

      73

      Tim
      G3PJD

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8ajm" <chris.payne@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tim
      >
      > We have some common valve history. I have to own up to a 6V6 start, although in those days 80m CW was not exactly on offer to me. I just hope enough water has flowed under the bridge now to safely make that admission! RX was also an R1155 followed by a Hallicrafters SX24.
      >
      > I ordered my RXTX a couple of months ago and stared at it for about 6 weeks. This weekend I got to the stage where I can receive on 40/30/20 and I'm just delighted with it. The magnifier you mention is a must and I found making the whole build on a tray very handy, as those little components often seem to make a bid for freedom; I don't remember the 6V6 ever doing that.
      >
      > I have found the build notes faultless and the test-as-you-go regime appears to guarantee a happy ending (well, half way in my case so far) and the support here just underscores the guarantee.
      >
      > It sounds like we might hit the ether at about the same time, so I wish you luck in the build and will look out for you if we have a band in common.
      >
      > 73
      > Chris
      > G8AJM (1965 vintage)
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tim G3PJD" <jet.noise@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Tony
      > >
      > > Nice to hear from you. I don't know that particular Hallicrafters. I started on a loaned R.1155 which was a WWll rx used in Lancaster bombers. Tx was home brew, of course, and CW as I couldn't afford a mod transformer or mic. At 15 money is a bit tight as you obviously know.
      > >
      > > My G3P call is 1961 vintage - G3R is 1962, and so on. UK calls don't follow a year by year pattern now, but they did then! My US Extra Class was obtained here in London, and I am an ARRL Accredited VE, despite only one brief trip to the US where my rig died on my first day!
      > >
      > > I followed the group for a while before ordering, but as most people are asking for help after experiencing problems I found it rather discouraging, so I ordered it anyway, and will find my own way. I am a little concerned by the lack of a specific kit building guide, but I know that such things take time and can cost money to produce. I am sure that my usual procedures will be fine.
      > >
      > > I thought it would make a change to post something upbeat, even if it is early days for me, so will keep my problem posts to a minimum!
      > >
      > > 73
      > >
      > > Tim
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Parks, Tony" <kb9yig@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Tim,
      > > >
      > > > Yes, I too started with 6V6s and 807s back in the early 50s. My first
      > > > receiver was a five tube S38C that I worked two months delivering
      > > > newspapers to buy.
      > > >
      > > > I will be 72 years old next month and have built a total of more than 100
      > > > RXTX and RX Ensemble kits this year.
      > > >
      > > > Hope the kit build goes well for you and I hope you have fun with the
      > > > little SDR transceiver.

> [...]
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic