69772Re: [softrock40] Ensemble II

  • Tim
    Nov 4, 2012
      John,

      I disagree, the 6.1 and 6.2 work fine, accepting the limited band coverage.  I used a 6.2 barefoot during a fox hunt season a few years back and worked 50%  on 40 and 80M of foxes even missing a few sessions due to conflicts.  It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  The earlier versions of the SOFTROCKs have their place for learning.  Just my humble opinion.

      Tim K5OI
      Las Cruces, NM

      On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

      Junius,

      If by problem you mean the reversing of the ground connection on the transformer (really no big deal) then no. Those earlier models were wired correctly. However they are crystal based (or at least the 6.1 and 6.2 were) and had too much harmonic output and are considered undesirable for any practical transmitting. Additionally they have no frequency agility so you're stuck with 48 khz or 96 khz bandwidth depending on soundcard and also you're stuck with whatever portion of the band that comes with the crystal Tony sent. I wouldn't bother building a 6.1 or a 6.2- too limited. On the other hand a 6.3 was the precursor to the Ensemble RXTX and is a quite good unit. It can be used on all the bands by changing the PA/Bandpass board which are interchangable. The problem is that Tony doesn't sell the PA kits anymore so you can buy the additional sets for the other bands. You can however incorporate the  6.3 into the self contained "Cube" transceiver and have a very nice portable tranceiver. The Cube can be purchased assembled or as a complete kit with or without the required 6.3 softrock. Bottomline- for the little money the newest RXTX costs I would not invest much time in a 6.1 or a 6.2. I built a 6.2- used it on WSPR for a couple days and threw it in a drawer. Hope this explains the options a little better.

      73s

      John
      KC9OJV

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic