69633Re: Bad chip?

  • warrenallgyer
    Oct 31, 2012
      Bill

      I feel your pain.... been there, done that... more than once in fact.

      A trick that will not help you now but may in the future: When removing multi-pin SMT devices I first solder all the pins together, using as little solder as possible. Then, when you apply the iron it can loosen one complete side at the same time. Carefully bending the chip up with needle nose applied to the ends will free this side. Then do the same on the other side and the chip comes up with minimal damage. Solderwick will clean up the lands and you are ready to install a replacement.

      After many many lands lifted and chips destroyed (I am a slow-learner) this trick has saved the day many times.

      Good luck to you.

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wfahle" <billfahle@...> wrote:

      > Well NOW it's the chip for sure. In an attempt to remove the IC to check voltages and such, the green covering began to burn through exposing the copper traces beneath. So I got out the clippers and clipped it loose from the board, so that I could remove each lead individually. This worked, but it tore up some of the pads in the process. I intend to replace it with this chip because it is available locally (and I don't think going SMT again is going to make life any easier):
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic