68858Re: Hardrock 50 driver amp relay question

  • jim.veatch@verizon.net
    Sep 22, 2012
      R208 should be 1K and the zener will stay in regulation down to 10.5 Volts on it draws 9mA if you want to regulate lower try a 680 ohm but it'll draw a little more current if that matters to you.

      With the binocular core I didn't think that bifilar winding was necessary so I put 1 loop of #22 teflon insulated wire through the core and connected one end to the 13.8V and the other to the drian of the MOSFET then soldered another piece of the #22 Teflon to the drain wound it twice through the core (in the same direction as the first loop) then connected it to C208. Turned the amp on put in some RF and 10 watts comes out, except on 6M where it only gets a little more than 5W but that's all it got before so at least there's no loss.

      10W is probably a lot to ask of a BN202-43 core so if anyone sees one fail let us know what happened.

      Curtis has agrees to put 2 drivers of the PCB set so with the next run we'll have lots to sell. And it will have placed for all the REV B circuitry, T/R relay, bias requlator, enhanced RF filtering. Just add a few parts and your got 10 dB gain for your Softrock.

      73's
      Jim WA2EUJ

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:

      > Jim,
      > thanks for the change, will give it a try...
      >
      > my end concept is to house this in a k5mh case to match my 40/30/20 rxtx
      > and try to fill the holes to make it look like a companion amp. Can I
      > build the filter with 3 caps and 1 toroid like the 50W 2nd run amp and
      > use it for 20/30 operation? I never seem to run on 40 but if I do I can
      > make an external filter for that.
      >
      > I think you said D201 is a 5.1V Zener. What is R208 value?
      >
      > Are you winding T201 bifilar to make the 3:1 transformer?
      >
      > John
      > On 9/21/2012 10:15 AM, jim.veatch@... wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi John,
      > >
      > > On the new driver PCB if you populate Q7 with a 2N2222 or 2N3904 NPN
      > > transistor and swap E and C, use a 220 ohm for R209 then the amplifier
      > > will key up with 12V applied to PTT in rather than pulling it to ground.
      > >
      > > Another thing to think about with running on low voltage is power
      > > output, it's related to Vd squared.
      > >
      > > Po = Vd^2/(2*Zd)
      > >
      > > With a 1:3 T201 winding we're lookng at a Zd = 50/9 = 5.55 ohms
      > >
      > > So at 13.8V the max power is 17.1 watts, at 11V a max of only 11W.
      > >
      > > The actual output is less because the formula doesn't account for
      > > various losses around the circuit. With 13.8V I was seeing at least
      > > 10W nice and linear as much as 13 or 14W if you don't mind compression
      > > (CW, FSK). With 11V these figures will be lower.
      > >
      > > 73's
      > > Jim WA2EUJ
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, jim.veatch@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi John,
      > > >
      > > > Thanks I'll look into S12V for keying the driver. The bias is
      > > regulated and shouldn't come out of regulation until the voltage drops
      > > below 10V, this could be improved at the cost of an increase of a few
      > > mA of idle current. Don't worry about it too much because my
      > > experience with these MOSFETs is that they aren't too sensitive to IDQ
      > > anyway.
      > > >
      > > > 73's
      > > > Jim WA2EUJ
      > > >
      > > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com

      > > ptt...
      > > directly

      > > gell-cell

      > > seems to
      > > to the
      > > using

      > > but may
      > > that will

      > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>

      > --
      >
      > John Williams
      >
      > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic