      From: John Williams <KE5SSH@...>
      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 1:21 PM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Hardrock 50 driver amp relay question

      Jim,
      thanks for the change, will give it a try...

      my end concept is to house this in a k5mh case to match my 40/30/20 rxtx and try to fill the holes to make it look like a companion amp. Can I build the filter with 3 caps and 1 toroid like the 50W 2nd run amp and use it for 20/30 operation? I never seem to run on 40 but if I do I can make an external filter for that.

      I think you said D201 is a 5.1V Zener. What is R208 value?

      Are you winding T201 bifilar to make the 3:1 transformer?

      John
      On 9/21/2012 10:15 AM, jim.veatch@... wrote:

      Hi John,

      On the new driver PCB if you populate Q7 with a 2N2222 or 2N3904 NPN transistor and swap E and C, use a 220 ohm for R209 then the amplifier will key up with 12V applied to PTT in rather than pulling it to ground.

      Another thing to think about with running on low voltage is power output, it's related to Vd squared.

      Po = Vd^2/(2*Zd)

      With a 1:3 T201 winding we're lookng at a Zd = 50/9 = 5.55 ohms

      So at 13.8V the max power is 17.1 watts, at 11V a max of only 11W.

      The actual output is less because the formula doesn't account for various losses around the circuit. With 13.8V I was seeing at least 10W nice and linear as much as 13 or 14W if you don't mind compression (CW, FSK). With 11V these figures will be lower.

      73's
      Jim WA2EUJ

      --

      John Williams

      KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic