68312Re: Removing Flux - even further off topic

  • rlramirez77
    Sep 3, 2012
      Just an FYI if anyone has difficulty using or obtaining alcohols for flux removal.

      I used to own a paint company and had to understand solubility and solvent chemistry quite well. Most store bought denatured alcohol will work the best because it is often denatured with small amounts of gasoline or toluene. Also quite common is 'recovery' solvent from use in the electronics industry where the solvent is blended into ethanol to denature it.

      In chemistry there is a phrase 'like dissolves like' because organic substances and their matching solvents are in the same chemical family. For example, aromatic hydrocarbon resins like rosin (which is a complex blend of molecules) are *best* dissolved by solvents that are also aromatic. Pure ethanol (200 proof) would not do a very good job if you could try it. In fact, the shellac resin still sold today sometimes is extended with rosin and will not dissolve in alcohol, but remains in suspension at the bottom of a container. Hexane (used in some contact cleaners) is actually an aliphatic hydrocarbon, but still is a bit closer to what would ideally dissolve colophony resin (rosin), which would be substances like turpentine or xylene. Solders like Kester 44 still use rosin in case you wondered.

      I hope this was at least interesting.

      Russ
      K0WFS