67518Re: Interesting comment on 'Curiosity' on Mars [1 Attachment]

  • K2DMS
    Aug 10, 2012
      Good point about the wind, however the distinction between an acronym and initialism is not so clear.

      According to Wikipedia it would be an initialism if we were to refer to JPL as "JPL Labs"; as in "ATM Machine" or "PIN Number" where the last letter and last term are redundant. I've never called it JPL Labs so please cite the sources for your definition.

      Danny
      K2DMS/VA3UE

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jasmine Strong <modulararithmetic@...> wrote:

      > JPL is an initialism but not an acronym.
      >
      > Archaeologists will not likely find these tread patterns since it gets windy on Mars and the treadprints are not going to last very long; there's no mud on Mars, at least not in the last few million years.
      >
      > -J.
      >
      > On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:48 PM, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:
      >
      > > [Attachment(s) from Bruce Tanner included below]
      > >

      > > Mars Science Laboratory, Curiosity Rover vehicle tires have tread
      > > patterns that imprint the acronym JPL in Morse Code in the dusty soil of
      > > the Mars surface. The wheel tread pattern is made by square and
      > > rectangular holes in the wheels. When in motion riding around the sandy
      > > Gale Crater, this pattern is viewed by the driver using some of the 17
      > > cameras aboard this interplanetary SUV. It takes about 14 minutes for
      > > radio waves to travel from the red planet to earth, through the Mars
      > > Odyssey orbiter relay satellite using UHF. Since there is a more than a
      > > 30 minute round trip delay between the driving commands and finding out
      > > the result of the measured moves, there is a need for the earth-bound
      > > drivers to maintain visual orientation and checks of distance
      > > traveled... this can be gauged by incremental count of the tread pattern
      > > repeats. Curiosity has 6 of these morse-coded wheels, and uses a
      > > rocker-bogie suspension, enabling it to climb obstacles. Who knows how
      > > many years these tread patterns will last on Mars? Perhaps when future
      > > Martian archaeologists study these strange fossil tread patterns a few
      > > hundred years from now, they will try to find someone studied in ancient
      > > radio lore to decode the meaning. (see attached photo)
      > >
      > > Terry L. Morris, KB8AMZ

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic