6368Re: Made a QSO with SDR exciter

  • Terry
    Oct 2, 2006
      Thank you for the very quick response.

      Here is what I just found out regarding tx frequency setting. If I
      just tune in a receive signal, the transmit audio does not change
      frequency. Probably a good thing, in tha it prevents small receive
      tuning changes to afec the transmit frequency as well. I had been
      tuning in a station on receive, then hitting MOX to respond to their
      CQ. That doesn't work, as the Tx freq is wherever you left it.

      In order to move the transmit freq to match the newly tuned-in Rx
      freq, I must first select one of the pre-canned messages to send (CWX
      page), then hit stop. Only then does the tx frequency move. Also,
      the KEY button on the CWX page does not key the transmitter, I must
      hit the MOX button of the main screen to transmit on the proper freq.

      Regarding the PTT & keyer: Under the CAT control, I have selected
      COM1 and DTR (I can change to RTS). Then, when I go to the DSP tab,
      keyer subtab, and try to select Com1 uner connections/primary, I get
      a message saying "Primary Keyer Port [COM1] could not be opened". If
      I try to select COM1 under secondary, I get a message box
      saying "Comport for keyer program could not be opened". My wish
      would be to allow the PTT and both iambic key paddle connections to
      be on the same COM port.

      I really apologize if this is normal, and I am not using the software
      right. Please take the above as being helpful, and identifying
      potential issues.

      Terry

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tracey <kd5tfd@...> wrote:

      > Comments in line below.
      >
      > At 07:40 PM 10/2/2006, Terry wrote:
      > >Bill, could you provide some guidance? Thanks in advance for
      helping
      > >with this. I am busy digesting the SDR-1000 manual, but can no
      > >longer transmit properly. Feel free to communicate directly
      > >(tfox@...) if you think this is off-topic here.
      > >
      > > I've looked through the SDR-100 manual now, and am still
      puzzled. I
      > >have gone backwards, in that I can't seem to change the transmit
      > >frequency anymore. I am using the Soft Rock exciter, not an SDR-
      1000.

      > >1. After playing a lot with the sound card controls, it appears
      that
      > >changing sound card input/output/mixer selections only affects the
      > >SDR software the next time PowerSDR is started. Is that correct,
      > >that these selections cannot happen "on the fly"?
      >
      > Don't really know. I'd think hitting the Power button on the
      console would
      > cause it to change sound devices.
      >

      > >2. Is there any way to use the same COM port for both PTT out and
      > >keyer input?
      >
      > I think it should work, but I've never set it up myself so cannot
      say for
      > sure. Will try and set it up here and fix the code if it can't be
      done.

      > >3. Is there a way to select one sound card for the IF/RF (tx & rx
      > >audio), and a different sound card for receive audio to speakers
      (and
      > >mic input for eventual SSB)? Would VAC enable me to do that? I
      have
      > >an Audigy 4 ZS Notebook (PCMCIA card) for RF sampling, and the
      > >motherboard sound card could be used for listening to receive
      audio.
      > >I haven't messed with VAC yet. That would avoid having to plu &
      > >unplug stuff between Tx and Rx.
      >
      > I think this can be done with VAC. Quite sure it cannot be done
      without it.

      > >4. After my first QSO, I haven't had any more luck. It appears
      that
      > >no matter where in the 48kHz band I select to listen, the transmit
      > >audio is the same tone as the TUN tone. I thought it had been
      > >changing frequency, but now it's not. This is verified with a
      scope
      > >and listening on a separate rig. Both the DDS and VFO locks are
      > >off. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?
      >
      > No idea on this one -- any chance the hardware configuration has
      changed
      > and the code thinks it has an SDR 1000 attached?
      >

      > >I think that's it for now.
      > >Thanks again.
      > >Terry
      > >WB4JFI