62346Re: [softrock40] Raspberry PI stand alone SDR

  • John Rabson
    Mar 3, 2012
      On 3 Mar 2012, at 02:20CET, Sid Boyce wrote:

      The students probably can outshine their teachers.

      I have known schoolboys who certainly did.

      In a recent article "Running on empty", employers are complaining of the lack of IT skills in the UK. Most students are fed a diet of Word and Excel which doesn't produce software developers and employers are forced to look elsewhere for the needed skills.

      The universities are just as bad in providing graduates with useful skills in that they can only use one inflexible set of development tools so if asked to deviate from the known, they are lost.

      The goal is to have a properly educated bank of graduates with a broader range of knowledge than simply installing an OS and its tools to be used a little more widely and knowledgeably than a new TV set and a fancy remote but not much more.

      And be able to attain a usable level of competence in a new application without having to go on a long course. I used to have to cope with a variety of languages, OSs, and GUIs (about 20 different things over 30 years).  Frequently I simply had to borrow the manuals for the weekend and start programming on Monday. It was quite surprising how much you could learn by writing the traditional “Hello World” program.

      I probably never achieved Sid's level in some of them (I never really did master JCL), but I did manage to do some machine-code* software for a satellite application -  and I could make even PL1 do what I wanted to.

      John
      *  no, not assembler. We were working to a tight deadline and the mainframe was down for maintenance so we did the coding by hand

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic