6120Re: [softrock40] Use of DDS-60

  • ian mcphedran
    Sep 19, 2006
      That's a really good package of info to back up Tom's emails. I'll give it a try on the cheaper option as i won't be doing more boards!
      Thanks, Ian

      Cecilio Bayona <KD5NWA@...> wrote:
      T Hoflich wrote:
      > For the first board that I assembled, I went the "chicken"
      > method and sent the chip and board to the fellow mentioned
      > in the DDS documentation. He did the "hard" work and
      > returned it to me. The result was very satisfactory.
      > Since then, I have been using the hot air reflow method
      > using an embossing gun, coffee warmer and solder that I got
      > from Cash Olsen who is on this group. This is very
      > satisfactory. I looked at the old entries in this group
      > and could not find the step by step documentation that I
      > used to do this. Maybe someone can point you to it.
      >
      > 73 Tom KM5H
      >
      > --- ian mcphedran <gm3gtq@yahoo. co.uk> wrote:
      >
      >> Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v
      >> Hexacon SMD soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a
      >> supplier of SMD parts who no longer is in business. The
      >> tip is o.k. for most smd things but the 28 pin analog
      >> devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask what
      >> is the iron you used for your assembly work?
      >> Ian Gm3GTQ
      >>
      >> km5h <km5h@...> wrote:
      >> I finally finished a "production" version of a
      >> Softrock receiver. By
      >> production, I mean everything in one box with proper
      >> connectors
      >> instead of a bunch of pieces scattered around the bench.
      >> In the box
      >> is a SR-6, a DDS-60 and a MS-DDS-60 (Controller) .
      >> I am using a SoundBlaster MP3+ so I can use it with any
      >> computer with
      >> USB (especially laptop).
      >> The Rocky display looks the same with the DDS-60 or the
      >> 28.224
      >> crystal. The output of the DDS-60 directly replaces the
      >> crystal via a
      >> short piece of small coax.
      >> One of the nice features of the controller is that it
      >> displays 7.056
      >> but actually puts out 28.224 for the SR-6.
      >> You set the center frequency on the controller. Then
      >> transfer that
      >> number (like 7.056) on the display to the appropriate
      >> field in Rocky
      >> setup.
      >> The DDS-60 goes to 60MHZ so this configuration will work
      >> to 15 MHZ.
      >> This includes lots of ham bands, short wave bands, and
      >> most IF's. Now
      >> I need to do some work on switching the band pass filter
      >> for higher
      >> frequency coverage than the "stock" SR-6.
      >>
      >> Now, if Rocky only supported AM and maybe FM (hint hint).
      >> There have been several questions lately about the use of
      >> the DDS60.
      >> I have found it very successful.
      >>
      >> http://www.amqrp. org/kits/ dds60/index. html
      >> http://kd1jv. qrpradio. com/msdds60/ msdds60.HTM
      >>
      >> Tom KM5H

      Here is a link to my site with a description on using an oven, but there
      is also a link to Cash Olsen's method with an embossing air gun.

      < http://www.hpsdr. com/Public/ Projects/ SMT/SMT.html >

      --

      Cecil
      KD5NWA

      "Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna