6112Re: [softrock40] Use of DDS-60

  • John Melton
    Sep 18, 2006
      Hi Ian,

      I have built up 3 DDS-60s using just a small 18 watt iron with the
      smallest tip I could find (from Maplin).

      I used the method of putting a small amount of solder on the pad for pin
      1 and then positioning the ad9851 and then just touched pin 1 to flow
      the solder. After checking the alignment I then solder the opposite
      corner pin, recheck everything and then put a small amount of solder on
      the tip and drag the tip slowly across the pins of one side. I then use
      solder wick to clean it up and remove any bridges. Then repeat for the
      other 3 sides.

      I am in the process of building another DDS using the ad9951 and have
      used the same method with that.

      Regards,

      John g0orx/n6lyt

      ian mcphedran wrote On 09/18/06 17:53,:

      > Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v Hexacon SMD
      > soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a supplier of SMD parts who
      > no longer is in business. The tip is o.k. for most smd things but the
      > 28 pin analog devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask
      > what is the iron you used for your assembly work?
      > Ian Gm3GTQ
      >
      > */km5h <km5h@...>/* wrote:
      >
      > I finally finished a "production" version of a Softrock receiver. By
      > production, I mean everything in one box with proper connectors
      > instead of a bunch of pieces scattered around the bench. In the box
      > is a SR-6, a DDS-60 and a MS-DDS-60 (Controller).
      > I am using a SoundBlaster MP3+ so I can use it with any computer with
      > USB (especially laptop).
      > The Rocky display looks the same with the DDS-60 or the 28.224
      > crystal. The output of the DDS-60 directly replaces the crystal via a
      > short piece of small coax.
      > One of the nice features of the controller is that it displays 7.056
      > but actually puts out 28.224 for the SR-6.
      > You set the center frequency on the controller. Then transfer that
      > number (like 7.056) on the display to the appropriate field in Rocky
      > setup.
      > The DDS-60 goes to 60MHZ so this configuration will work to 15 MHZ.
      > This includes lots of ham bands, short wave bands, and most IF's. Now
      > I need to do some work on switching the band pass filter for higher
      > frequency coverage than the "stock" SR-6.
      >
      > Now, if Rocky only supported AM and maybe FM (hint hint).
      > There have been several questions lately about the use of the DDS60.
      > I have found it very successful.
      >
      > http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
      > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
      > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/msdds60/msdds60.HTM
      > <http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/msdds60/msdds60.HTM>
      >
      > Tom KM5H

      > All new Yahoo! Mail
      > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/nowyoucan/pc_mag/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40565/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html>
      > "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." -
      > PC Magazine

      John Melton
      Sun IT CTO
      Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)