6111Re: [softrock40] Use of DDS-60

  • Leon Heller
    Sep 18, 2006
      Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 5:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Use of DDS-60

      Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v Hexacon SMD soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a supplier of SMD parts who no longer is in business. The tip is o.k. for most smd things but the 28 pin analog devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask what is the iron you used for your assembly work?

      Drag soldering works very well on those chips. The secret is to tack down two opposite corners first and to use plenty of flux. I use a 'mini hoof' tip which holds a small amount of solder but you can use a normal tip with a small blob of solder on it. Gel flux is best.

      73, Leon
      --
      Leon Heller, G1HSM
      Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle