6107Re: [softrock40] Use of DDS-60

  • ian mcphedran
    Sep 18, 2006
      Hi Tom, I am trying to build a dds-60 using a 230v Hexacon SMD soldering iron I bought in the U.K. from a supplier of SMD parts who no longer is in business. The tip is o.k. for most smd things but the 28 pin analog devices chip is too closely spaced for it. Can I ask what is the iron you used for your assembly work?
      Ian Gm3GTQ

      km5h <km5h@...> wrote:
      I finally finished a "production" version of a Softrock receiver. By
      production, I mean everything in one box with proper connectors
      instead of a bunch of pieces scattered around the bench. In the box
      is a SR-6, a DDS-60 and a MS-DDS-60 (Controller) .
      I am using a SoundBlaster MP3+ so I can use it with any computer with
      USB (especially laptop).
      The Rocky display looks the same with the DDS-60 or the 28.224
      crystal. The output of the DDS-60 directly replaces the crystal via a
      short piece of small coax.
      One of the nice features of the controller is that it displays 7.056
      but actually puts out 28.224 for the SR-6.
      You set the center frequency on the controller. Then transfer that
      number (like 7.056) on the display to the appropriate field in Rocky
      The DDS-60 goes to 60MHZ so this configuration will work to 15 MHZ.
      This includes lots of ham bands, short wave bands, and most IF's. Now
      I need to do some work on switching the band pass filter for higher
      frequency coverage than the "stock" SR-6.

      Now, if Rocky only supported AM and maybe FM (hint hint).
      There have been several questions lately about the use of the DDS60.
      I have found it very successful.

      http://www.amqrp. org/kits/ dds60/index. html
      http://kd1jv. qrpradio. com/msdds60/ msdds60.HTM

      Tom KM5H