55151Re: Op amp troubles....I think?

  • VA3XCD
    May 2 5:28 PM
      The saga here continues and I am getting more and more confused as time goes on....

      I ordered a new LT6231 op amp chip from Tony and it arrived today.
      I soldered it in place, the correct way this time :), and went on to do the testing. I began to check the pins, both on the pads as well as at the pins. All the voltages checked out as per spec. I then went to check the values for R33 and R32. I checked the voltage on R33 first without the 10K jumper, and got a spec value. I powered down, installed the jumper, and checked the voltage, and got a value of .003 volts. I powered down, removed the jumper, powered up again and checked the voltage at R33 again and still have .003 volts. I then re-checked the voltage on the pins of U11, and got the following values:

      Pin 1 .002
      Pin 2 .218
      Pin 3 .241
      Pin 4 0
      Pin 5 .241
      Pin 6 .147
      Pin 7 .045
      Pin 8 5.018

      All units are volts.

      At this point I went back to check the values on U10 in the QSD circuit, trying to work my way back.

      I started to check the voltages on the pins. Here are the values I was getting:

      Pin 1 0
      Pin 2 2.503
      Pin 3 .129
      Pin 4 .108
      Pin 5 .101
      Pin 6 .230

      At this point I went back to check the ones I had just checked, and I dont know what happened, but they were all back in spec, just the way they were when I initially finished the stage.

      So I went back to check U11 again, and this time right up to pin 5, the values were in spec. I checked pin 6, and it had dropped back to .142 volts. I went back to check pins 1 through 5 again, and got similar very low values I mentioned above.

      So I went back even further, with intermittent spec, and bad voltages.
      I went right back to the LO circuit to check the values on the R12 and R13, and I noticed that now the si570 will not let me enter 24 MHz for a frequency for the tests. In fact it will not go above anything past 15.99 MHz now. I dont know if that is a function of the rest of the components being in the circuit, or if something is really wrong somewhere.

      At any rate, this is the stage I am at now. I think I have included all relevant info that I can think of.....

      As I mentioned in the initial post when this all started, all test values were in spec up to the point where I installed U11.
      Now the values are intermittently good and bad.
      I have also gone as far as checking all my joints, and also wiggling components to see if I could find a bad joint somewhere. I wiggled all the inductors, and most of the components and still could not nail down a reason for the intermittency.

      Any help is greatly appreciated, especially before I pull out any more of what little hair I have left :)

      73
      Bill
      VA3XCD