47395Re: Advice needed with Ensemble RXTX

  • g8voip
    Sep 1, 2010
      Hi Joe,

      It does seem that USB sound device does have a hardware error with the left and right channels being swapped, now seen similar comments from 3 different sources.

      That makes life fun trying to provide advice!

      The simplest way to determine if the I/Q signals are the right way around is just to go to a band and tune a couple of SSB signals and ensure they appear as the correct upper or lower sideband as expected. I say tune to several signals as I once managed to tune to the one and only signal on the band where the person was actually using the opposite sideband to convention :)

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Teichman <jteich3@...> wrote:

      > I also am just getting started with a Ensemble RXTX and I had
      > similar experiences.
      > I built mine with the I/Q jumpers crossed, as suggested in the build
      > instructions (actually, I put in posts and wire-wrapped them so that it
      > would be easy to swap should it be necessary). This was supposed to be
      > necessary for using PSDR. However, I found that I had to switch the I/Q
      > lines to the straight configuration in order for it to work with PSDR.
      > BTW, I am using a Creative XFi 5.1 USB soundcard.
      > In order to make swapping I/Q lines easy (even easier than the wire-wrapping
      > suggestion), I purchased a stero mini to Female RCA cable and a stereo mini
      > to male RCA and connected them together. This way, I could swap the left and
      > right channels in a moment.
      >
      > Also, I found that in PSDR, I had to drop the "Line In Gain" (I turned it
      > down to '1' - I think that 0 gave me some kind of problem at the time) in
      > the Audio/Primary configuration window to have image rejection.
      >
      > One thing that I am confused about with PSDR is how to set up transmit. The
      > Audio/Primary window seems to be used for setting up receive, where you
      > specify the the input as the soundcard that gets the receive I/Q and the
      > output line to where the audible output is sent to. Do you set it up
      > transmit in the VAC window? Do I then have to check the Direct I/Q/Output to
      > VAC box?
      >
      > On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Yannick <yannick.devos@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hi Alan,
      > >

      > > > Both have auto image rejection for RX. Bob, G8VOI recently posted
      > > > instructions for 1.12 he knows the software better than I do.
      > > With I/Q signals the right way image rejection is ok now, I just told about
      > > that as a reminder to understand my problem.
      > > What I also wanted to emphasis is "don't always trust your sound card".
      > > Mine as left/right channels reverted.
      > >

      > > > I do not know, maybe you have made a bad adjustment.
      > > > Was it always like that? You can revert to default by deleting the data
      > > > file.
      > > > "You have to find and delete the database.xml settings file which it does
      > >
      > > > not reside in the installation folder. The database.xml file resides for
      > > XP
      > > > in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\FlexRadio
      > > > Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3 and for Vista in C:\Users\<user
      > > > name>\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3" Christos
      > > Earlier
      > > > versions of PSDR put the database file in the Program folder, Genesis
      > > > database.xml, others use a different format PowerSDR.mdb.
      > > > It is possible to save and select these files to use different
      > > > configurations, or restore operation if it gets corrupted.
      > > >
      > > > PDSR has always worked for me with all the gain settings as default and
      > > with
      > > > the record settings high. I even have to increase the waterfall
      > > sensitivity.
> [...]
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic