47349Re: Advice needed with Ensemble RXTX

  • Yannick
    Sep 1, 2010
      Hi everybody.

      I will just jump into this thread to share my experience with PSDR.

      I had my Ensemble RXTX working great with DSP Radio on OS X and Rocky on XP. The I/Q signal paths were crossed on my SoftRock PCB.
      Last week-end I decided to try PowerSDR because it has CAT control, usefull for WSPR or fldigi setting the frequency and switching on transmit.

      I have been battling through two problems :
      - bad image rejection and difficult Si570 frequency calibration,
      - Signals in PowerSDR seem saturated but sometime just tuning 10KHz away everything is normal...
      No such behavior in other softwares. I tried to use the Mic input and then the line-in input on the PC (Compaq Presario CQ3016L with Realtek onboard audio) but they act exactly the same. Reducing the soundcard input gain to the minimum make it works but sometime it is saturated again. All signal processing by the soundcard are turned off. Why Rocky on the same computer works ok then ?

      Finally I found out that my computer audio channels were reversed! It seems a hardware problem and no way to change it. I had to rewire the SoftRock PCB "straight" to get it work with PowerSDR.
      About the signal being saturated, no improvement but playing with the "Preamp" setting allows me to have a better behavior.
      I also encountered some parameters in AF gain and AGC to play with. But no time to check it now...
      http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50153.aspx

      73,
      Yan.
      ---
      Yannick DEVOS - XV4TUJ
      http://capheda.wordpress.com/ (Blog in french)
      http://www.qsl.net/xv4tuj/ (web page in english)

      > Hi Wally,
      >
      > You turn the 'EIA' function on or off with the button on the main screen in the 'DSP; box section. There is a box alongside it to set a 'seed' number for the algorithm, I can never remember which way around it works, ranges from 0 - 1. One way requires bigger signals to work, but operates faster, the other works closer to the noise floor but takes longer to remove the image. Think mine was set around 0.5.
      >
      > Winrad works particularly well, but as you say receive only. The two parallel developments of WinradHD and WindradF from Alberto's original code have both progressed beyond the 'official' v1.6.1 version, which seems to have stalled again through the lack of any programmers.
      >
      > After Alberto stopped supporting further development of his original Winrad code, he did hint he was working on a replacement that I got the impression would also support transmitting, but he has been working on other projects so no promised time scale for that, if indeed he is still working on it.
      >
      > 73, Bob G8VOI
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Roberts" <wally@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for that Bob. I will check for the EIA tomorrow, but suspect we don't have access to it?? I have tried other PSDR versions with the V9.0 and had no success. Of course, with the V9.0, Winrad seems about the best performer, so no worries there. Great pity that there is no TX capability with Winrad.
      > > I did reverse the I/Q sigs without expecting any change, other than a reversal of the image, which is what I got. So, now to bed, and will let you know how I get on.
      > > 73.....Wally, G3GXQ.
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hi Walter,
      > > >
      > > > PowerSDR requires the I/Q signals reversing compared to using the Ensemble with Rocky or Winrad. Unfortunately in most versions of PSDR there is not facility to swap them over in the software.
      > > >
      > > > I always recommend to wire up your hardware as in the v9.0 RX case or cross over the links on the Ensemble board so that the I/Q signals are the correct way for PowerSDR.
      > > >
      > > > All you need to do then in Rocky and Winrad is use the software set up option to 'swap I/Q' and you will have compatibility with all available SDR programs.
      > > >
      > > > The automatic image rejection mode called 'EIA' in that version of PSDR generally does work well, but there is more than a suspicion of a 'bug' lurking as occasionally it does seem to stop.
      > > >
      > > > The later demo based on Flex's v2.0 beta certainly has issues with their 'WBIR' image rejection. Flex did acknowledge that on one of their forums, not sure if that has been resolved yet.
      > > >
      > > > 73, Bob G8VOI

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic