43628Re: PA Kits for the Softrock V6.3 RXTX

  • n4fbz
    May 2 10:59 AM
      I modified my softrock so that it has a broadband balun for both tx and rx, and I'm working on an external amp (using the kit from Kits and Parts http://www.kitsandparts.com/linearamp.php) that takes the output from the mixers, puts the signal through a bandpass filter (built into the amp box), and then outputs the signal (through more filtering).

      I also incorporated a receive preamp in the circuit that should eliminate a lot of the rx problems I've heard about (but only experience to a small amount). The goal? Have a QRP rig that out performs and is cleaner than anything available through the "market"- and I think that might end up being the case!

      The whole idea was to build a modular system. Seperate softrock that can be used (plugged in) to many different setups and circuits. External filtering as needed. External amp as well. I can also by switching cables use my softrock as an IF receiver, or as the basis of a nice transverter-style 2m SSB system... or for any number of applications.

      BTW- The softrock was built into a nice rf-tight case with feedthroughs and very strong isolation of any noise source, as well as proper audio-type grounding (single point). That makes it an awesome receiver even without the impedance-matching preamp, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it works on transmit!

      (I just wish that they'd port Rocky to Linux, and add SSB capacity to the software!)

      Bob
      N4FBZ

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Preston Douglas <pdouglas12@...> wrote:

      > Chris,
      >
      > I have the Packer Amp with my RXTX 6.3. Per alternate instructions, changed the input attenuator to 1dB, and I get 15-20 watts out LINEAR from about 500 mW input from the RXTX. Really gets out well.
      >

      > Preston Douglas WJ2V

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic