43598Re: DigiPan TX with RXTX 6.3 and USBtoI2C?

  • Dave
    May 1, 2010
      Hi..

      Sadly Phil N8VB has pulled the download for his VCOM tool. I had a little discussion with him about it a while back. In essance, he's dropped support for it, so it's no longer available from his site. At least the download button still brings up a 404 error.

      There are probably coppies about on the web, and many of us have the original install program on archive, but another alternative is Eterlogic's VSPE tool, that can also do many other neat things too as you may or may not need. Google 'Eterlogic vspe' you will find it, it is 100% genuinly free, and activly supported. For example, with IP-Sound and VSPE, you have genuinely workable remote control of a rig (Softrock or?) over a network, or VPN.

      ComOcom, I never got to work to my satisfaction, I also found the documentation very lacking, but that's just me.

      I also tried to find if someone could add basic custom rig command features to DigiPan, so when you changed band, it could also get the rig to QSY too. All it can do is manipulate a line for PTT use, sadly it can't do any more than that it seems. I couldnt find any DDE linking abilities either, else SoftRock (and other) control support could be added by an external helper tool. If anyone knows of any undocumented control I/O to DigiPan, it'd be good to know.

      It seems that though DigiPan is still popular, it is no longer being actively developed. Pitty, as it works well on older lower powered PC's that often struggle with the otherwise excelent HRD suite. (Sadly we cant all afford the latest multi GHz digital behemouth.)

      I personaly also think DigiPan's decoding abilities are slightly better "in the rough stuff" of a 20m contest for example, than DM780. But others say its the other way round.

      Cheers All.

      Dave G0WBX(G8KBV)

      > Hi Brent,
      >
      > The simplest way to link the two programs for controlling the PTT line is to use one of the 'Virtual COM port' programs to create two linked 'virtual' serial ports.
      >
      > There are a couple freely available.
      >
      > I am using N8VB's vCOM which does the job nicely. All you need to do is set up a pair of virtual ports, say COM8 and 18, then in Digipan > Configure set the PTT to COM8 and choose which signal you want to use, say DTR or RTS (or both), then in PSDR on the CAT Control tab, check the Enable PTT control, enter COM18 and select RTS or DTR (or both) as required.
      >
      > A quick Google for N8VB will find the information and download.
      >
      > Others use the Com0Com software, which performs the same function.
      >
      > If you get more ambitious it is also possible to link PSDR with other programs like Digipan and use the CAT functions via virtual COM ports to provide band switching and frequency displays etc. I have not got around to playing with that side yet.
      >
      > 73, Bob G8VOI
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "BD" <bdewitt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is this possible? How does one get DigiPan to talk to the SoftRock PTT?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Brent - AB1LF

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic