40873Re: Si570 desoldering tips

  • Peter
    Feb 15, 2010
      I just noticed this post, so I apologize for being a couple of weeks late. I have a technique that works very well for unsoldering surface-mount parts. You will need a hot air tool, I use a Weller Portasol butane soldering tool with a hot-air blower tip. You will also need an electric griddle, which you can get for about $20 at any discount store. You may want an infrared thermometer from Harbor Freight Tools or similar.

      Use the griddle as a hot plate to preheat the PCB. You'll have to watch the temperature to avoid damaging through-hole parts, this is where the thermometer comes in. When it reaches the desired preheat temperature, apply hot air. The solder holding the part you want to remove should melt almost instantly, and you can lift it right off. If you're replacing it, just place the new one while the PCB is still hot. More hot air to reflow the solder.

      Make sure you use a good hot air tool, NOT one of the little butane torches from harbor freight or similar, and use the hot air tip, NOT the blowtorch tip. You should see no flame.

      You can use an electric skillet instead of a griddle, but the griddle is easier to use because it doesn't have the sides.

      Pete NI9N

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "barrymichels" <bmichels@...> wrote:
      > I just received a shipment notification for the 2 Si570 samples I ordered 2 weeks ago. They should be here Wednesday. The Si570 that is in my RXTX won't let me tune over 10Mhz. What's the best method for removing the damaged chip without damaging the board?
      > Thanks,
      > Barry - KE4JUC
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic