      From: Preston Douglas <pdouglas12@...>
      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 6:23:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Si570 desoldering tips

      Y'know, Barry, something you mentioned has been running around in my head (along with the squirrels!).  If the way you killed your 6.3 was by misconnecting the PA daughterboard so you shorted 12V to the amplifier board, you can't burn out chips that way.  They are isolated from the antenna inputs.  All you can do is burn out the secondary of the output transformer or the output inductor in the little RX filter.  I would check them and maybe rewind them.  Also check the traces on the little RX board for burn through.  Please do not ask me how I learned this.  Too embarrassing.

      I agree that you should check the output of the LO.  There are two test points on your board where you can pick up the signal near the CMOS jumper.  You ought to be able to put a test wire on there and jumper it over to your antenna if you don't have a counter.  You should get all your signals as you change the switches.

      Preston Douglas WJ2V