40387Re: [softrock40] Si570 desoldering tips

  • Mr Doug -
    Feb 2, 2010
      In a situation like yours, where the entire board is fried, it would seem a better approach would be to just assemble a new board and throw that board in the trash, minus whatever you want to save from it. That is unless you like the experience and possible aggravation of fixing it! The cost of new parts, the possible destruction of the board, your time, and the fact that these boards are VERY inexpensively priced yo begin with would seem to make them throwaways in some situations. Granted you might be beyond that now but something to consider in the future.

      From: Barry Michels <bmichels@...>
      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, February 2, 2010 8:30:53 AM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Si570 desoldering tips

      Alan wrote:

> [...]
      Well, since accidentally frying my RXTX, I've replaced every piece of
      silicon on it. The only thing left is the Si570. I have noise bands
      all over the waterfall that are almost gone at 80M, but get worse as you
      go up in frequency. I can receive WWV at 10Mhz, but no higher. Above
      that, I get no signals at all. Just a very large/wide center spike and
      noise bands on the edges. I've been running WSPR on 40M for weeks now
      with no trouble, but am missing out on 30M and 20M activity. I'm hoping
      the new Si570 will fix the problem. If not, I bought enough spare chips
      to do a full replacement again (except for the TX OpAmp, but that's
      working fine).

      Barry - KE4JUC

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic