39301Re: ESI UGM96 soundcard mini-review

  • Rob
    Jan 3, 2010
      Hi Gents,

      My result was rather unscientific, based on comparing the highest and lowest signals, and overall listening perfomance against the FA66. Since few musicians use Linux, it's hardly a surprise that the makers target their soundcards at Mac/Windows.

      I can't see much difference in the noise floor when using 48k sampling, yet the USB can't quite handle duplex at 96k/24 bits.

      The ESI ASIO driver works as well with PSDR as the Edirol one. But I have no way to verify the bit depth, apart from looking at the noise levels. Even with 48k@24bit it still would use useful. Please don't quote US $ prices, they make us jealous!!

      Graeme, on the FA66 comment - most of the sockets on the FA66 aren't grounded to the metalwork. The zero spike drops dramatically if I strap the case (grounding screw provided) to the Softrock case. BUT the broadband spikes increase.

      I need to look again at the area of soundcard spurious. The spikes are below noise on 40/30m but will be a problem on the higher bands.

      -Rob

      > I agree, I remember reading somewhere that this thing can't do 24 bits at 96kHz due to USB bandwidth. Also, it costs $90 USD, the lowest I can find at the moment.
      >
      > Have you been able to take in 24-bit at 96kHz in WinXP?
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic