37690Re:FYI Genesis Radio

  • g8voip
    Nov 1, 2009
      Hi Nick,

      Thanks very much for the update and background to the project.

      I have been watching Tasa's website for a long time now, and good to hear he has renewed interest. It struck me that designs were a few years old now, so look forward to see what the 'next generation' brings.

      I have had a better opportunity now to play with the 'Genesis' version of PSDR using my SoftRock v9.0 RX, and do like many of the new features, particularly the enlarged panafall display.

      The only area that lets it down at present is the LO frequency control when compared to all other available versions of PSDR, but having said that, as I mainly use Winrad, its not that much of a drawback for me. I guess it is really still biased towards crystal controlled gear, but good to have the USB implementation.

      Keep up the good work, and please pass thanks and appreciation on to Tasa,

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vk1aa" <nick@...> wrote:

      > I agree with Bob.
      >
      > It will take few more months before we can talk Genesis vs. Softrock.
      >
      > To put things in perspective, the current (new) Genesis project is just 6 months young (Softrock is in its 5th year).
      > Some of softrockers may be surprised to learn that
      > Genesis concept was around well before Softrock - back then it was called Avala by YU1LM. Actually, Tasa designed his first SDR radio in 2001 immediately after DL6IAK released his SDR RX software!
      > He was also first to practically demonstrate and document switchers/filters application in SDR.
      > While Tasa gave away all his designs freely to SDR interested hams
      > for their enjoyment, many of his SDR solutions were later implemented in commercial rigs and by hams in US, India and Russia - who built and sold their radios without even acknowledging source.
      >
      > Naturally, such a disrespectful rip-off caused Tasa to almost give up
      > SDR altogether.
      >
      > In March this year I finally managed to convince him to return to designing.
      > This was the re-birth of Genesis. Obviously, we lost years, but we'll catch up - because we are working on both hardware and software SDR solutions with the intention to place Genesis kits in mid to high SDR range, both price and performance-wise.
      >
      > Our project is well funded, and we already have some ideas
      > of how the 'next generation' SDR will look like. But we are not in a hurry, and we'll take one step at time.
      >
      > At the moment, our goal is to get the G59 up and running and where we go from there only time will tell.
      >
      > To conclude, we have nothing but utmost respect for Softrock and softrockers as well as other ham radio kit producers. And as someone noted here, our ultimate goal is the advancement of ham radio
      > enjoyment - in whatever shape or form it may present itself - not to create animosity or unnecessary polarization.
      >

      > Nick VK1AA
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Tom,
      > >
      > > Well there is nothing to be scared of with SMD components, only takes a short time to perfect the soldering technique, then actually it is a lot easier than using leaded components, in my opinion.
      > >
      > > For soldering irons, the power is not that important, it's the bit size and preferably use a temperature controller iron, makes life easier.
      > >
      > > I use a standard Weller 40W iron with a fine bit for the vast majority of my SMD work. The higher power iron is particularly useful when soldering connections to the earth plane.

> [...]
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic