      Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2009 2:28 PM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re:FYI Genesis Radio

      Having never in my life soldered a surface mount component, I'm about to
      take the plunge. I have sitting here in front of me a Softrock 80M Lite
      II to assemble. I'd be much happier if it was all nice bulky through
      hole components, but it isn't, and it look as if more and more kit are
      going to be surface mount stuff. I've ordered a headband magnifying
      visor already, but I suspect my old bulky RS 40W iron isn't going to be
      up to the task. What do you lot recommend for soldering surface mount
      stuff?

      I've also got one of the little Genesis 1W 30M transmitter kits on the
      way. It just looked like it would be fun to build and play with. If
      this 80M softrock goes well, I might have to get a 30M version to
      compliment the Q5.

      Robert Brown wrote:
      > IMHO the Genesis is a way behind the Softrock. Far too many bulky
      > through hole components for my liking, and no 3rd party add-on kits
      > (yet).
      >
      > 73s,
      > Rob
      > (M0RZF)