      From: g8voip <g8voi.reeves59@...>
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: softrock lite - troubleshooting the flipflop
      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 7:09 AM

      Hi Tom,

      Good to hear that, see, you just need to have a little faith!

      Contrary to a lot of what is published, it is extremely hard to damage most chips, they seem to be able to withstand a lot of abuse! Shorts on input pins rarely causes any harm.

      I put one of the Atmel AVR chips in the socket the wrong way around the other day, when I was doing some of the testing for the new v15.11 firmware.

      Only found it when I was having problems with the PC failing to recognise the device. The first I realised was when I put my thumb on the chip and got a blister straight away! Despite that, once I let it dool down, put it in the right way round, all was working fine, but I do have it marked in case it does anything strange in the future.

      Hope the next part of the build and testing goes fine,

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, tmac <tmac@...> wrote:

      > Well!
      > When troubleshooting, it's always good to be convinced by a friend to
      > recheck your conclusions.
      >
      > I resoldered pin 3. The voltage is 2.5 v now as it should be. Too late
      > for me to get the scope out to see if the chip is working.
      >
      > I'll report in tomorrow evening with results.
      >
      > Ok, Im re-excited now.
      >
      > Thanks for the hand-holding.
      >
      > Tom -WA4FYN
      >

      > sailingto wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
      > > <mailto:softrock40% 40yahoogroups. com>, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@ >
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Tom,
      > > >
      > > > Sounds like you have possibly managed to damage the chip somehow,
      > > but take a very careful look just in case it is just a small solder
      > > splash or whisker between pins 3 and 4.
      > > >
      > > > If you just carefully push pin 3 back onto the pad, does the fault
      > > return again?
      > > >
      > > > Any manufacturers 74AC74 should be alright, it the 'AC' family part
      > > which is important as far as speed and interface levels go.
      > > >
      > > > 73, Bob G8VOI
      > > >

      > > Great idea on the needle Bob - I'll try and remember that for lifting
      > > a single pin on an IC....
      > >
      > > Tom, Mouser Part #: 512-74AC74SC Manufacturer Part #: 74AC74SC is
      > > listed at 32 cents each - that one worked for me. I've got to order
      > > more of them along with some other parts pretty soon.
      > >
      > > Good luck and having fun,
      > >
      > > Ken H.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic