35413Re: RXTX 6.3 Trouble

  • Bryan
    Aug 3, 2009
      I unmounted the board from the case, pulled the PA and BPF, and unmounted the antenna connector, and it blew another fuse. I removed the antenna connection because when measuring the resistance between the two leads at the board, it would jump around between maybe 0 and 1kOhm. Measuring it at the case mounted connector yielded over-load. So when I originally mounted the board in the case which moved the orientation of the micro coax, it appears that connection was sporadically shorting. However, my I2C kit was shipped early September 2008, so would PTT be defaulted to 5V or not? Don't want to apply power to the board, so can supply the I2C kit a voltage directly?

      Thanks,
      Bryan

      > Hi Bryan,
      >
      > If that is the first time you have had it connected to the USB to I2C interface, I suspect that if you have only recently got that kit, you will need to change the set-up the firmware in the AVR chip.
      >
      > If it is a recent kit using Fred PE0FKO's v15.10 firmware, that defaults for use with the v9.0 RX, and the line used for the PTT function is one of the switched BPF control lines, so I suspect it might be set to a high, causing your v6.3 TX/RX to go straight to transmit, hence the higher current. You can check and see it the PTT line is 0v or +5V when you switch on.
      >
      > If it is +5v, you will need to set up the firmware.
      >
      > To do this, you need to use the Winrad program, with Fred PE0FKO's supporting dll file in the same folder. You can get it from here:
      >
      > http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/ExtIO_Si570/
      >
      > When you run Winrad, do the following:
      >
      > Select 'Show Options' > 'Select Input' > 'Softrock v9.0 Si570'
      >
      > Then press 'Start' to run Winrad
      >
      > Press 'H' on keyboard to bring up the firmware set up screens and select the 'ABPF' tab. Click on the 'tick' in the 'Enable' box to remove it (not enabled) and press 'Save'.
      >
      > If you disconnect the USB lead and reconnect it, the firmware will now be in the right state for the v6.3 TX / RX and the PTT and CW key inputs will function correctly.
      >
      > 73, Bob G8VOI
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <bryanshq@> wrote:
      > >
      > > With the kit completed and the 80m PA and BPF installed, I had 82.9 mA with the 100 Ohm series resistor, and 107.8 mA without it (using 12.5V supply). Then I continues to finish installing audio cables for I/Q, the I2C USB interface, the antenna connector, and mounted it in my case. Then I had 85 mA with the 100 Ohm series resistor and 116 mA without it. Probably shoulda starting troubleshooting without power right there, but decided to check the 5V and 3.3V test points first. They were both close. Then measuring current again, I popped the 315 mA fuse in my multimeter. Wasn't sure if I touched something stupid, so I retried with the 100 Ohm resistor and again got 85 mA, but again blew a fuse without the resistor. U4 (LM7805) was warm, but not hot.
      > >
      > > So what have I fried for sure and what might be the cause of my troubles? Tell me what to measure and I will.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Bryan

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic