32263Re: Beginners Programming Guide for ATtiny 45 / 85 devices

  • g8voip
    Apr 2, 2009
      Hi all,

      Thanks to for the positive feedback and comments, really appreciated, nice to wake up to this morning.

      I will try to keep the guide up to date and keep adding as I learn or from the feedback.

      A couple of comments:

      Ken, I agree Fred's 'Fuse Restorer' is a nice stand alone solution, only trouble I see for beginners is that you have to program an AVR chip for it in the first place, so you would have to go through most of the learning process anyway.

      Alan, I think the 'problem' with using the 'giveio.sys' driver is that it needs to be installed and registered correctly, however putting it in the same folder as the avrpp program does work.

      I used the 'install_giveio.bat' file included with the WinAVR package on my Win2000 PC. Just taken a look at that file and it uses the 'loaddrv.exe' program to carry out the installation.

      Ashok, VU2ASH pointed me to the other website included in the document regarding using 'giveio.sys', and that details using 'loaddrv.exe' to install the driver. He successfully did this and used it on his Win XP machine with the HVS programmer.

      I normally use a dedicated old Win98se PC for programming all sorts of PICs and EEPROM devices, so none of the above problems with any of the AVR programmers.

      I did try using a cheap USB - parallel printer adapter, but that failed miserably. I believe some types might allow bit manipulation, but not sure about any timing issues.

      As well as motherboards that still support the legacy serial and parallel ports, there are also PCI cards available. I think its just the mindset with some that these are 'old hat'.

      Ultimately, as we are only likely to need to reprogram the chip a few times, my aim was to do it as cheaply and simply as possible.

      Next job for me is to learn how to make my own website, a beginners guide would be very nice ;-)

      Thanks again Fred for hosting the files for me,

      73, Bob G8VOI