1603Re: AMD free chips

  • Phil Covington
    Dec 6, 2005
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Willmore <willmore@o...> wrote:
      > (top posting and improper indenting/attirbution fixed)
      > > FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@s...> wrote:
      around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a
      credit card number. High quality stuff
      All happy customers. gfz

      > > > My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
      > > > them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
      > > > gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
      > > > in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
      > > > layouts with it!
      > >
      > > You might want to check again. I think they will also accept
      Gerber files.
      > > They provided software for hobby users and small timers without
      high power
      > > tools.
      > Yes, expressPCB will accept gerber files, but the software they provide
      > will not *make* gerber files. So, if you use their software, you cannot
      > generate a file that any other board make will be able to take. It's
      > not a 'lock out', but a 'lock in' to them as a vendor. That's just
      > not acceptable to me.
      > Cheers,
      > David

      I think that you can purchase the gerber files from ExpressPCB for $50
      or $60...

      Better to use an open source EDA package like gEDA or Kicad. I use
      Kicad with the PCBExpress service with no problems.

      73 de Phil N8VB
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic