1602Re: [softrock40] AMD free chips

  • David Willmore
    Dec 6, 2005
      (top posting and improper indenting/attirbution fixed)
      > FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:
      > > David Willmore <willmore@...> wrote:
      > > > Check out "expressPCB". They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
      > > > for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers. gfz
      > >
      > > My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
      > > them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
      > > gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
      > > in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
      > > layouts with it!
      >
      > You might want to check again. I think they will also accept Gerber files.
      > They provided software for hobby users and small timers without high power
      > tools.

      Yes, expressPCB will accept gerber files, but the software they provide
      will not *make* gerber files. So, if you use their software, you cannot
      generate a file that any other board make will be able to take. It's
      not a 'lock out', but a 'lock in' to them as a vendor. That's just
      not acceptable to me.

      Cheers,
      David
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic