Nash of Clapham Rovers, 1870s

  • meadowbank74
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2010
      I realise this is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any research on Clapham Rovers from the 1870s?

      I'm trying to establish the identity of A Nash, who played for England in the first unofficial international in 1870, and he is proving incredibly elusive. From match reports, I know he played first for Wanderers, then switched to Clapham Rovers in late 1869, and although he soon disappears from team lines he stayed with the club for several years - he represented them on the FA committee, and the latest mention I can find of him is as an umpire in 1876.

      He is variously reported as A Nash or AJ Nash, although there is a nagging feeling that possibly these are two separate people (in one match report both names are given, although that is not necessarily conclusive given the nature of football reporting at the time). Unlike many other players of the time, he doesn't seem to have taken part in other sports, or have had a prominent position in society.

      As he probably had some kind of administrative role at the club, his address may have been published on membership cards or other ephemera. So if anyone has ever seen any paperwork related to early Clapham Rovers it may provide a vital clue as census records would probably have a full name and occupation.
    • Paul Crankshaw
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23, 2010
        It's an interesting one

        Looking at a few newspaper reports I see:

        4/11/1869 A Nash Wanderers
        18/11/1869 A J Nash Wanderers
        22/11/1869 A J Nash Wanderers
        16/12/1869 A J Nash Wanderers
        21/1/1870 A J Nash Wanderers
        27/1/1870 A Nash, A J Nash - Clapham
        7/3/1870 A Nash Clapham (unofficial international match) Morning Post
        7/3/1870 A Nash Clapham (unofficial international match) Liverpool Mercury
        8/3/1870 A Nash Clapham (unofficial international match) Leeds Mercury

         As you say, were there one or two of them?  Does A J appear later in connection with Clapham Rovers

        Looking at FreeBMD one A J stands out:

        Alexander James Nash whose birth was registered at St George's, Hannover Square on the last quarter of 1849

        In the 1881 Census his occuption "Accountant to a Public Company and his address is Palmerston Road, Haverstock Villa,
                    Chigwell, Essex
        In 1891 he lives at Fernside, Chigwell and he is an "Accounting to a Shipping Company"

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 23, 2010

          > In 1891 he lives at Fernside, Chigwell and he is an "Accounting to a
          > Shipping Company"

          That's "Accountant"!
        • paul crankshaw
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 23, 2010
            In 1867 Alexander Nash received a BA from Brasenose College, Oxford
            Morning Post 28/6/67

            Posh, Scottish ancestry, Oxford ....it all adds up :)

          • meadowbank74
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28 6:34 AM
              Thanks for your suggestions, Paul.

              I've spent far more time than is good for me, going through census records, birth announcements, old newspapers, etc and there are a number of possibilities, which I have whittled down to a couple of likely candidates. I can also discount the Alex Nash who was at Oxford as he was given a parish in Gloucestershire.

              The two are:
              Alexander James Nash, born 17/11/1849 in Pimlico, the accountant you mention. His father worked at the Royal Mint, although not in a particularly senior position; his wedding in 1873 was in The Times, which indicates a certain social standing.

              Andrew John Nash, born 1/9/1849 in Edmonton, who became a solicitor in London. Educated at Repton, where he was a contemporary of two other 'unofficial' internationals, CRB Hamilton and HH Stewart.

              On balance I would guess the latter, but have not been able to come up with any concrete links - it really needs an address when he was at Clapham Rovers to pin him down. So if anyone is ever able to check the early 1870s Football Annuals, or any other source, it would be much appreciated.

              And of course the other nagging doubt is that there were two players, A Nash and AJ Nash.

              To be continued (I hope).

              Andy