Re: single tank or not?

  • John Spezzano
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2007
      I bought their DVD a while back when I was first gathering
      information on this subject. It's OK, nothing you couldn't find in a
      cursory search on the web, my mistake for buying into the
      advertising.

      Anyway, I was speaking with them about converting my 300SD, I spoke
      with Joel's wife a number of times about different vehicles, etc, but
      it was like pulling teeth to get a return phone call. After a while,
      I just gave up. Not sure why, maybe he's too busy to return phone
      calls from prospective customers, but in the end, I'm VERY happy with
      my Frybrid.

      In other news, I saw some vacuum filtration gadget that Veg Powered
      had designed for dumpster diving. Aside from the fact that the
      rendering company can get you arrested for taking oil from their
      barrel, this device might filter quickly, but does not address the
      vastly more important issue of suspended water in the oil which
      cannot be removed, to my knowledge, without heat and settling time.

      Hope this helps,
      jvs

      --- In socalsvo@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Philpott" <simi_matt@...>
      wrote:

      > While we are on the subject of systems.
      > Does anybody have any experience of
      > veg powered systems in Ojai ?
      > I have an '97 E350 powerstroke van I'm plannning
      > to convert with a 2 tank system.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Matt
      >

      > --- In socalsvo@yahoogroups.com, "John Spezzano" <kickme@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Don't go Lovecraft, you'll ruin your car down the line. 2-tank
      > > system is the only way to go if you want to be able to start up
      in
      > > the cold and get any real life out of the car. We installed a
      > > Frybrid in our '84 300SD, and it's been flawless. If you're
      > > interested, check out the site, there is a lot of diesel and WVO
      info
      > > on it as well as specs on their models. www.frybrid.com Their
      forum
      > > is especially helpful for answering many questions like this one.
      > >
      > > We chose Frybrid, but there are many solid 2-tank systems to
      choose
      > > from.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps,
      > > jvs
      > >
      > > --- In socalsvo@yahoogroups.com, "brockessick" <paysley99@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have an 81 300d benz that i have been sitting on converting
      since
      > > > sept. for one, I have been denied WVO at 2 restaurants and am
      > > > discouraged...but mostly unsure about the diff between single
      > > > tank(lovecraft?) or dual tank(greasecar?).
      > > > and advice out there? I live outside of temecula...

    • Matt Philpott
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
        I saw that filtration system too.
        Like you said it doesn't address the water concerns.
        It also doesn't address the Free Fatty Acids in
        the oil.
        What are people using to neutralize these in WVO systems ?
        Is there an additive being used by people with 2 tank systems ?
        In biodiesel extra NaOH is used in the processing
        will neutralize them.

        There was a very interesting article in Diesel Power magazine
        this month that looked at biodiesel and possible effects on the
        engine. Corrosion to the injectors and pumps seemed to be the main
        concern.
        Delphi, Bosche and other suppliers will not warranty any of their
        parts with >5% biodiesel with current standards.

        Cheers

        Matt
      • John Spezzano
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2007
          Hey Matt,

          Here is a post by Dana Linscott of Veg Oil Conversions. The guy is a
          genius and can explain things for us laymen as well.

          http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/voconversionbasics/vpost?
          id=1809646&pid=17018921#post17018921

          wrote:

          > I saw that filtration system too.
          > Like you said it doesn't address the water concerns.
          > It also doesn't address the Free Fatty Acids in
          > the oil.
          > What are people using to neutralize these in WVO systems ?
          > Is there an additive being used by people with 2 tank systems ?
          > In biodiesel extra NaOH is used in the processing
          > will neutralize them.
          >
          > There was a very interesting article in Diesel Power magazine
          > this month that looked at biodiesel and possible effects on the
          > engine. Corrosion to the injectors and pumps seemed to be the main
          > concern.
          > Delphi, Bosche and other suppliers will not warranty any of their
          > parts with >5% biodiesel with current standards.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Matt

        • John Spezzano
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2007
            The link is pretty long, so here's the text itself. (If you want to
            see the diagram of an FFA, copy/paste the whole link to your browser
            window.)

            From time to time the issue of removing Free Fatty Acids comes up. I
            believe that this is mainly due to confusion between the processing
            of VO into VO fuel and the processing of VO into bio-diesel.

            When making bio diesel the level of FFAs must be determined in order
            to calculate the amount of catalyst which must be used to convert the
            VO/WVO feedstock into bio-diesel completely. If too little is used
            the reaction/conversion will be incomplete and the resulting bio-
            diesel will contain undesirable contaminants. VO/WVO with high FFAs
            will require more catalyst then that with low FFAs so FFAs are
            considered a "problem" by those that make bio-diesel from VO/WVO.

            But for those that use VO/PO/WVO without converting it to bio-diesel
            (by modifying their engines fuel systems) FFAs are not a problem.
            Heres why:

            Plant oils (VO/WVO) and fats ARE "Fatty Acids"called triglycerides.
            (Wikipedia info on Fatty Acids/oils) and (Triglycerides) and when
            subjected to chemicals or high temperatures (as VO is when used in
            cooking/frying) some of the "fatty acid" molecules break apart into
            smaller molecules.

            A VO (fatty acid/triglyceride) molecule looks generally like this:

            The blue sections are FFAs and the red section in the center which
            binds them together is glycerol.

            Fatty Acids and Free Fatty Acids BOTH combust equally well in a
            diesel engine. FFAs DO NOT need to be removed. Which is very lucky
            since doing so would be very difficult and expensive.

            Dana