Soybean Oil Iodine Value

  • getoffoil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2005
      Any problems with soybean oil polymerizing in the engine because of
      high iodine values? Especially in the newer VW high compression
      engines?
    • Johnny-realness
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2005
        well... three months of soybean oil in a 300D mercedes
        actually reduced engine oil consumption a lot--to
        about 50%. I credit a mild buildup on the engine
        walls. Running petrodiesel would immediately (within
        50 miles) cause a reversion to the old smoking and
        engine-oil-burning habits of the engine.

        This was a bone-stock setup, and there are obvious
        issues when running at night (visible white smoking,
        etc). With fuel line heaters right in teh engine bay,
        I like to think the engine would not feel the
        polymerizing effect. This is of course essential for a
        TDI or newer Benz, right?

        I'd like to get me hands on a totalled TDI, and run
        the engine until it craps out (or not). I would do any
        candidate conversion, then run on cold nights... lots
        of startup cycles... until failure :) Anyone know of
        a candidate TDI? :)

        ps: g.o.o. how can you test for iodine
        value/polymerization potential? I actually get really
        nervous collecting oil sometimes, because there might
        be peanut oil in it (chinese food etc), and I might
        not know from teh smell or anything until my engine
        gunks up. I would like to be able to test batches as I
        filter them.

        -Luigi

        http://mail.yahoo.com