SOAP response specification question

  • Mark Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2001
      Can anyone clarify something for me:

      in all examples I have seen, a SOAP request contains, of course, the
      method name (eg GetMoney). The SOAP response contains the method name
      with "response" appended to it (eg. GetMoneyResponse).

      Is the "Response" appendix to the method name part of the SOAP response
      *specification*, or is it just that all examples do this?

      --------------------------------
      "Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."
      ________________________________

      Dr. Mark Wilkinson
      Bioinformatics Group
      National Research Council of Canada
      Plant Biotechnology Institute
      110 Gymnasium Place
      Saskatoon, SK
      Canada
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2001
        Hi, Mark!

        > Is the "Response" appendix to the method name part of the SOAP
        > response
        > *specification*, or is it just that all examples do this?
        That's the part of SOAP spec, but it's not mandatory:

        "The name of the return value accessor is not significant. Likewise,
        the name of the struct is not significant. However, a convention is
        to name it after the method name with the string "Response"
        appended."

        SOAP::Lite (as well as many other tollkits) doesn't rely on the name
        of the return element. But it appends 'Response' as SOAP spec
        suggests. SOAP Cookbook (http://cookbook.soaplite.com/) has example
        on how to alter this behavior on server side.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- Mark Wilkinson <mwilkinson@...> wrote:
        > Can anyone clarify something for me:
        >
        > in all examples I have seen, a SOAP request contains, of course,
        > the
        > method name (eg GetMoney). The SOAP response contains the method
        > name
        > with "response" appended to it (eg. GetMoneyResponse).
        >
        > Is the "Response" appendix to the method name part of the SOAP
        > response
        > *specification*, or is it just that all examples do this?

        > --
        > --------------------------------
        > "Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."
        >
        > Dr. Mark Wilkinson