HTTP Keep-Alive and performance concerns

  • mike@theoretic.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
      Hiya there,

      I'm writing some software that uses a CGI based SOAP server, and am
      concerned that with large numbers of method calls, the time involved
      in connecting to the server will be prohibitive. On my modem for
      instance it can take several seconds to call a method on a remote
      server: obviously several seconds per method call isn't great.
      Therefore are there any plans to support HTTP KeepAlive which I think
      would go a long way towards resolving this issue?

      thanks -mike
    • Taras Shkvarchuk
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
        I have looked into keep alive, the problem is that underlying module.
        LWP::UserAgent doesn't support it. So in order to allow Keep-Alive or HTTPS
        proxy you'd have to modify the transport module.
        If any of you have time/will to do so I'd love to try it out myself. ;)

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
          Hi, Taras!

          Sorry if I'm slow in my replies. I'm on vacation and have sporadic
          access to my mail. It'll continue during this week also (I'll be at
          P2P conference), but I'll try to answer most of the questions this
          week.

          > LWP::UserAgent doesn't support it. So in order to allow Keep-Alive
          As for Keep-Alive, latest LWP supports that as far as I remember and
          to switch it on you need to specify KeepAlive => 1 or something
          similar in constructor. This may require however changes in the way
          SOAP::Lite makes requests (maybe not). I will take a look when I'll
          be back. Your help will be appreciated ;)

          I also remember some new features re HTTPS proxy added in
          Crypt::SSLeay/LWP::Protocol::https. Could someone take a look there?
          Thanks.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          --- Taras Shkvarchuk <tshkvarchuk@...> wrote:
          > I have looked into keep alive, the problem is that underlying
          > module.
          > LWP::UserAgent doesn't support it. So in order to allow Keep-Alive
          > or HTTPS
          > proxy you'd have to modify the transport module.
          > If any of you have time/will to do so I'd love to try it out
          > myself. ;)

          Find a job, post your resume.
          http://careers.yahoo.com