(Perl) WWW-Authenticate: NTLM using Soap or Soap::Lite?

  • Bill Jones
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 20, 2001
      Subject: (Perl) WWW-Authenticate: NTLM using Soap or Soap::Lite?

      Is there a way to perform NTLM WWW-Authentication via Soap or
      Soap::Lite?

      I am on Solaris 8 talking to IIS/5.0 w/WebServices; I've been
      trying (Perl) LWP::* with Soap::Lite; but I keep getting the
      following error:

      GET
      http://207.203.95.95/bill/BrokerEmployee.asmx/ClassRoster?strBrokerID=ETB251
      &strClassReferenceNumber=138887&strTerm=20021 --> 401 Access Denied
      Connection: close
      Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 04:10:10 GMT
      Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
      WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate
      WWW-Authenticate: NTLM

      <HTML>
      <HEAD><TITLE>An Error Occurred</TITLE></HEAD>
      <BODY>
      <H1>An Error Occurred</H1>
      401 Access Denied
      </BODY>
      </HTML>

      Also, I guess ultimately, I want to talk to it via SSL (if I ever
      get into production :( Anyhow, any insiht, thoughts, or comments
      would be most welcome :)

      Thx!
      -Sx- :]
    • Dana Powers
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 22, 2001
        This is a transport issue, and not impacted by SOAP as far as I can tell -
        it would need to be implemented at the LWP level, and I havent been able to
        find any exisiting implementations. The module that you'd need is
        LWP::Authen::NTLM.pm. If you're interested in implementing it yourself,
        there is protocol information here: http://www.innovation.ch/java/ntlm.html
        .
        The open source web proxy project, squid, has some information available as
        well: http://squid.sourceforge.net/ntlm/

        Hope this helps
        dpk

        > Is there a way to perform NTLM WWW-Authentication via Soap or
        > Soap::Lite?
        >
        > I am on Solaris 8 talking to IIS/5.0 w/WebServices; I've been
        > trying (Perl) LWP::* with Soap::Lite; but I keep getting the
        > following error:
        >
        > GET

        http://207.203.95.95/bill/BrokerEmployee.asmx/ClassRoster?strBrokerID=ETB251
        > &strClassReferenceNumber=138887&strTerm=20021 --> 401 Access Denied
        > Connection: close
        > Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 04:10:10 GMT
        > Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
        > WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate
        > WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
        >
        > <HTML>
        > <HEAD><TITLE>An Error Occurred</TITLE></HEAD>
        > <BODY>
        > <H1>An Error Occurred</H1>
        > 401 Access Denied
        > </BODY>
        > </HTML>
        >
        > Also, I guess ultimately, I want to talk to it via SSL (if I ever
        > get into production :( Anyhow, any insiht, thoughts, or comments
        > would be most welcome :)
        >
        > Thx!
        > -Sx- :]

      • Gisle Aas
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2001
          "Dana Powers" <dana@...> writes:

          > This is a transport issue, and not impacted by SOAP as far as I can tell -
          > it would need to be implemented at the LWP level, and I havent been able to
          > find any exisiting implementations. The module that you'd need is
          > LWP::Authen::NTLM.pm. If you're interested in implementing it yourself,
          > there is protocol information here: http://www.innovation.ch/java/ntlm.html
          > .
          > The open source web proxy project, squid, has some information available as
          > well: http://squid.sourceforge.net/ntlm/

          I would be very happy if somebody could contribute this module.

          Regards,
          Gisle
        • Bill Jones
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 26, 2001
            On 10/26/01 2:56 PM, "Gisle Aas" <gisle@...> wrote:

            > "Dana Powers" <dana@...> writes:
            >
            >> This is a transport issue, and not impacted by SOAP as far as I can tell -

            >> LWP::Authen::NTLM.pm. If you're interested in implementing it yourself,
            >> there is protocol information here: http://www.innovation.ch/java/ntlm.html

            > I would be very happy if somebody could contribute this module.

            Hi Gisle :)

            As I am the one who needs it soonest, I am working on it as fast as my
            little Perl fingers will go :)

            However, please pardon me if I use the LWP code incorrectly, I know not what
            I do; once done I am sure other, more experienced Perl writers will
            correct/fix it.

            :)

            -Sx-
            William C (Bill) Jones
            Lead, Courseware Support Analyst
            (Lead e-Systems Developer)
            Florida Community College at Jacksonville
            501 West State Street, Rm 229
            Jacksonville, Florida 32202-4030
            wcjones@...
            PHONE (904) 632-3089
            FAX (904) 632-3007
            "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am
            not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
            ::: Richard Nixon
          • Gisle Aas
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 30, 2001
              Bill Jones <sneex@...> writes:

              > On 10/26/01 2:56 PM, "Gisle Aas" <gisle@...> wrote:
              >
              > > "Dana Powers" <dana@...> writes:
              > >
              > >> This is a transport issue, and not impacted by SOAP as far as I can tell -
              >
              > >> LWP::Authen::NTLM.pm. If you're interested in implementing it yourself,
              > >> there is protocol information here: http://www.innovation.ch/java/ntlm.html
              >

              > > I would be very happy if somebody could contribute this module.
              >
              > As I am the one who needs it soonest, I am working on it as fast as my
              > little Perl fingers will go :)

              There is now an NTLM module on CPAN by Mark Bush [1]. I would think
              that building on it should simplify the task of writing
              LWP::Authen::NTLM considerably.

              [1] http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=NTLM

              Regards,
              Gisle
            • ctcard_hotmail_com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
                I'm seeing this problem. Has anyone done any work on implementing
                LWP::Authen::NTLM.pm or LWP::Authen::Negotiate.pm since last October?

                Chris
                --- In soaplite@y..., "Dana Powers" <dana@t...> wrote:
                > This is a transport issue, and not impacted by SOAP as far as I can
                tell -
                > it would need to be implemented at the LWP level, and I havent been
                able to
                > find any exisiting implementations. The module that you'd need is
                > LWP::Authen::NTLM.pm. If you're interested in implementing it
                yourself,
                > there is protocol information here:
                http://www.innovation.ch/java/ntlm.html
                > .
                > The open source web proxy project, squid, has some information
                available as
                > well: http://squid.sourceforge.net/ntlm/
                >
                > Hope this helps
                > dpk

                Soap::Lite?

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
                  Hi Chris,

                  --- ctcard_hotmail_com <chriscard1@...> wrote:
                  > I'm seeing this problem. Has anyone done any work on implementing
                  > LWP::Authen::NTLM.pm or LWP::Authen::Negotiate.pm since last
                  > October?
                  There was a recent post on libwww list with NTLM.pm module that looks
                  like a good candidate:
                  http://www.mail-archive.com/libwww@.../msg03634.html

                  It's on my list of things that I may need to implement, but would
                  rather use if available. It isn't difficult to do having Authen::NTLM
                  already implemented, but I don't have a server that supports NTLM to
                  test with.

                  HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                  http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
                • Fernando Villar <fvillart@yahoo.es>
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 22, 2002
                    I need to solve the same problem. Has anyone been succesful using
                    the NTLM athentication with Soap::lite?

                    --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "ctcard_hotmail_com"