Unstable behaviour of TCP client/server

  • Juan Julian Merelo Guervos
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2001
      Hi,
      I managed to fix the problem with the client/server (thanks, Paul), but
      now I have another problem. The client sends objects to the server, a
      complicated object, but it fails 1 out of three times, this way:

      Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1468.Use of
      uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1468.Use of
      uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux-thread/XML/Parser/Expat.pm
      line 474.
      Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/IO/SessionData.pm line
      160.Connection reset by peer

      The program is always the same: it sends 10 objects to a server, which
      stores it in a queue.
      Maybe it's a problem with buffer overflow or anything like that? A
      timeout? Any hint?

      JJ Merelo => http://geneura.ugr.es/~jmerelo
      OPEAL => http://opeal.sourceforge.net
      Atalaya => http://granavenida.com/atalaya
    • Juan Julian Merelo Guervos
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 2001
        Juan Julian Merelo Guervos wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I managed to fix the problem with the client/server (thanks,
        > Paul), but
        > now I have another problem. The client sends objects to the server, a
        > complicated object, but it fails 1 out of three times, this way:
        >
        > Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
        > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1468.Use of
        > uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
        > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1468.Use of
        > uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
        > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux-thread/XML/Parser/Expat.pm
        > line 474.
        > Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at
        > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/IO/SessionData.pm line
        > 160.Connection reset by peer

        Hm, did you read the manual, right? Did you read the IO::Socket::Inet
        Manual? You didn't? Well, if you had bothered to do so, you would have
        noticed this:

        Listen Queue size for listen

        And then, you would know that you need to set the Listen parameter in
        the TCP server to, at least, ten times the number of things you want to
        send...

        I _just_ can't stand these newbies....

        PS: ;-) ... just a proof that I keep testing things while I wait for an
        answer from the list. And I don't know if the answer is right, but it
        seems to work as a rule of thumb.
        --
        JJ Merelo => http://geneura.ugr.es/~jmerelo
        AEB'02 => http://aeb02.unex.es
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2001
          Juan Julian Merelo Guervos wrote:

          > Juan Julian Merelo Guervos wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > I managed to fix the problem with the client/server (thanks,
          > > Paul), but
          > > now I have another problem. The client sends objects to the server,
          > > complicated object, but it fails 1 out of three times, this way:
          > >
          > > Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
          > > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1468.Use of
          > > uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
          > > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1468.Use of
          > > uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
          > >
          > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux-thread/XML/Parser/Expat.pm
          > > line 474.
          > > Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at
          > > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/IO/SessionData.pm line
          > > 160.Connection reset by peer
          > >

          > Hm, did you read the manual, right? Did you read the IO::Socket::Inet
          > Manual? You didn't? Well, if you had bothered to do so, you would have
          > noticed this:
          >
          > Listen Queue size for listen
          >
          > And then, you would know that you need to set the Listen parameter in
          > the TCP server to, at least, ten times the number of things you want
          > send...

          Now _you_ should read the manual yourself, man! If you kept reading, you
          would have noticed:
          Timeout Timeout value for various operations
          in the IO::Socket::INET, of course, which you should have know is the
          one used by SOAP::Lite... and then, by testing different values, like
          Timeout => 10, it would have worked....

          PS: It works now all the time, but it freezes from time to time... of
          course, timeout is too high. Any way to fix that?

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2001
            Hi, Juan!

            --- Juan Julian Merelo Guervos <jmerelo@...> wrote:
            > Juan Julian Merelo Guervos wrote:
            > > Juan Julian Merelo Guervos wrote:
            skipped...
            > > Hm, did you read the manual, right? Did you read the
            > > IO::Socket::Inet Manual? You didn't? Well, if you had bothered
            > > to do so, you would have noticed this:
            skipped...
            > Now _you_ should read the manual yourself, man! If you kept
            > reading, you would have noticed:
            :)) I didn't realize immediately you're talking to yourself ;)

            > PS: It works now all the time, but it freezes from time to time...
            > of course, timeout is too high. Any way to fix that?
            I don't think it freezes because of timeout (otherwise it would drop
            connection). Any other possible reasons?

            http://personals.yahoo.com