Inheritance issue...

  • Ivan R. Judson
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 18, 2001
      Hey,

      So I'm using activestate perl, and soaplite 0.51 and I have the following
      odd thing happening:

      1) one side I have a server starting and instantiating some objects (which
      are children of a GenericObject), and it's working fine (from the calling
      side)

      2) on the 'being called' side i have similar objects but they aren't calling
      up to the parent.

      Any ideas where this might be breaking?

      --Ivan

      PS -- it's like the @ISA isn't being considered...

      Ivan R. Judson .~. http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~judson
      Futures Laboratory .~. 630 252 0920
      Argonne National Laboratory .~. 630 252 6424 Fax
    • Ivan R. Judson
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 18, 2001
        My problem also appears to be platform dependant. When the 'being called'
        side is windows it works, when it's linux, it screws up the inheritance.

        --Ivan

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 18, 2001
          Hi, Ivan!

          I'm not aware of any platform-dependant issues. Client/server code
          definitely will help (you can send it offlist at
          paulclinger@...). Only one ISA-related aspect that comes to my
          mind is problem with this code:

          A->a;

          package A;

          @ISA = 'B'; # class B has method 'a'

          specified inheritance will not work unless package+ISA combination is
          wrapped into BEGIN{} block.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          --- "Ivan R. Judson" <judson@...> wrote:

          > My problem also appears to be platform dependant. When the 'being
          > called'
          > side is windows it works, when it's linux, it screws up the
          > inheritance.
          >
          > --Ivan

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Ivan R. Judson
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
            I believe this is exactly my problem. But, when I put the package+ISA into
            a BEGIN{} block, I get "can't call method send_recieve on an undefined value
            at ... 395."

            It's getting sticky now, I'm wondering if I've wandered down the wrong path
            for what I'm trying to do...

            --Ivan

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
              Hi, Ivan!

              Small client code that produces this error will definitely be
              helpful.

              You may get this error if you do something like:

              my $proxy = 'http:/...';
              use SOAP::Lite
              proxy => $proxy;

              This code will NOT work even if you wrap it into BEGIN block (I
              posted explanaition on this list about a month ago. This is the way
              Perl works). If that's you case you can do something like this:

              my $proxy = 'http:/...';
              use SOAP::Lite;
              SOAP::Lite->self->proxy($proxy);

              -- OR --

              use constant PROXY => 'http:/...';
              use SOAP::Lite
              proxy => PROXY;

              Hope it helps. Let me know if it's something else.

              Best wishes, Paul.

              --- "Ivan R. Judson" <judson@...> wrote:

              > I believe this is exactly my problem. But, when I put the
              > package+ISA into
              > a BEGIN{} block, I get "can't call method send_recieve on an
              > undefined value
              > at ... 395."
              >
              > It's getting sticky now, I'm wondering if I've wandered down the
              > wrong path
              > for what I'm trying to do...
              >
              > --Ivan

            • Bill Jones
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
                Where is the FAQ and examples site (if any) for this list?

                The actual stuff I downloaded could use some more examples with copious
                notes.

                Thx :]
                -Sx-
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
                  Hi, Bill!

                  You may find helpful http://guide.soaplite.com and
                  http://cookbook.soaplite.com

                  > The actual stuff I downloaded could use some more examples with
                  > copious notes.
                  My hope was that distribution has enough examples to get any one up
                  to speed. I'm about to update cookbook with more questions, examples
                  and details. I'll be more than glad to include examples you can
                  provide. Thank you.

                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                • Ivan R. Judson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
                    Hey Paul,

                    Thanks for the quick response! How does proxy issue you describe interact
                    with the inheritance problem described before? I believe I'm running into
                    the inheritance problem described by your example:

                    > > > I'm not aware of any platform-dependant issues. Client/server
                    > > code
                    > > > definitely will help (you can send it offlist at
                    > > > paulclinger@...). Only one ISA-related aspect that comes to
                    > > my
                    > > > mind is problem with this code:
                    > > >
                    > > > A->a;
                    > > >
                    > > > package A;
                    > > >
                    > > > @ISA = 'B'; # class B has method 'a'
                    > > >
                    > > > specified inheritance will not work unless package+ISA
                    > > combination is
                    > > > wrapped into BEGIN{} block.

                    And when I do the begin block I start to see the send_recieve error. A
                    small example is difficult, since I've got a hairy thing I'm trying to get
                    working...I'll work on it.

                    --Ivan
                  • Bill Jones
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
                      >> Where is the FAQ and examples site (if any) for this list?
                      > You may find helpful http://guide.soaplite.com and
                      > http://cookbook.soaplite.com

                      Thx :)

                      > and details. I'll be more than glad to include examples you can
                      > provide. Thank you.

                      OK :) So long as you asked :)
                      -Sx-
                    • Ivan R. Judson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
                        Ok, a summary that might be clear enough to help is the following:

                        I have a super class G, with methods event, and d_event.
                        I have subclasses D and C.
                        D implements neither event nor d_event.
                        C implements event by calling SUPER::event, then iterating over it's list of
                        D's and calling D->event.

                        C and D are SOAP servers on different machines.

                        C->event works, and it calls D->d_event. D->d_event never gets passed to G,
                        where it's implemented.

                        I'm working on simple example code, but it's a hairy problem :-).

                        --Ivan

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
                          On 10/29/01 12:52 PM, "Paul Kulchenko" <paulclinger@...> wrote:

                          > My hope was that distribution has enough examples to get any one up
                          > to speed. I'm about to update cookbook with more questions, examples
                          > and details. I'll be more than glad to include examples you can
                          > provide. Thank you.

                          Hello again :)

                          I am sorry to be a pest, but I am having trouble trying to get this
                          converted to a Perl/SOAPLite script:

                          POST /bill/BrokerEmployee.asmx HTTP/1.1
                          Host: 207.203.95.95
                          SOAPAction: "http://artemis.fccj.org/webservices/ClassRoster"

                          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                          <soap:Body>
                          <ClassRoster xmlns="http://artemis.fccj.org/webservices/">
                          <strBrokerID>string</strBrokerID>
                          <strClassReferenceNumber>string</strClassReferenceNumber>
                          <strTerm>string</strTerm>
                          </ClassRoster>
                          </soap:Body>
                          </soap:Envelope>

                          Is example 5.a in the guide.soaplite.com site the one I should try to cram
                          this into?

                          ???
                          -Sx-