RE: [soaplite] array of struct

  • John Liu
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2001
      Paul, Thanks for the quick response.

      1. I realized this is not an easy issue - [am i right, Dietrich?]
      1) there're other implementations treat ':struct[]' as a valid type
      see:
      - <echoStructArray xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array"
      SOAP-ENC:arrayType=":struct[4]">
      http://tclsoap.sourceforge.net/silab/round2base.html
      <echoStructArray xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array" SOAP-ENC:arrayType=":struct[2]">
      http://www.phalanxsys.com/soapclient/echoStructArray.htm#SOAPx4

      2) other implementations not happy with it, like
      com.hp.soap.handlerAPI.TypeUnsupportedException: Malformed type :struct[2]
      HP-SOAP http://soap.bluestone.com/interop/EchoService/results/client/

      2. I donot understand how http://interop.soaplite.com/#SOAP4x passed the
      soap4x
      echoStructArray test. Would you mind showing me the soaplite echoStructArray
      client test code?
      How did you map php's StructArray[array of array?] to soaplite StructArray
      [array of hash?], an example?

      3. While burning oil at night,
      I started to cast doubts on the promises of simpleness -
      SOAP/or the current ways to implement it -
      it attracts and traps as well.

      The current many implementations and interop tests are good news.
      But each implementation is straggly to fully conform std.
      interop test sets and test each other may not be a very efficient
      way to realize the promises of SOAP.

      Just think the following simple facts - not so much an issue for different
      programming langs. to understand each other
      in simple atomic data types such as string, array;
      but many problems in complex types. We got to have a simple approach like
      those
      simple data types, different langs. can find common grounds.

      To me, programming lang. barriers are only the surface problem, the problem
      is lacking a clear yet practical
      neutral representation in wire layer - to define and test standard formulas
      how to translate complex types between common programming languages, for
      example,
      Formula = lookup[structArray][java->perl], by providing definitions and
      methods how
      java's structArray translates to perl's structArray by using atomic data
      types(?), etc.
      - This provides a better set of testbed,
      it masks the details of each lang., and avoids the time consuming guess or
      specific deserielizer in
      each implementation wire layer per lang. This layer can naturally link to
      xsd.

      Just some thoughts ...

      Back to the reality., I do want to find some simple examples about
      echoStructArray,
      perl-java-c++-php-tcl-ruby-.net, to convey array of structs, eps.
      perl-php-java?

      Thanks very much.

      johnl

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2001
        Paul's SOAP::Lite package also provides a wonderful implementation of the
        XML-RPC protocol, which is a much lighter weight way to do what SOAP does.
        Check out www.xmlrpc.org for more information. It currently lists 50
        implementations in 34 languages/environments. We had used SOAP for cross
        platform interoperability in a large commercial environment, but ran into
        the same sorts of problems that you did. After that, we've switched to
        XML-RPC for everything.
        dpk