RE: [soaplite] two questions

  • Ivan R. Judson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19 11:55 AM
      Hey Paul,

      In the first thread below there's a conversation about a persistant handler,
      with methods getHandler and initHandler. This is almost exactly like what I
      want to do, except I want to do it OO on the server side. Perhaps I'm
      missing something (wouldn't be new), but I'd like to use autodispatch from
      the client on a "psuedoObject", so I don't understand how to merge the two
      notions.

      Thoughts?

      --Ivan

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19 12:09 PM
        Hi, Ivan!

        > with methods getHandler and initHandler. This is almost exactly
        > like what I
        > want to do, except I want to do it OO on the server side. Perhaps
        > I'm
        > missing something (wouldn't be new), but I'd like to use
        > autodispatch from
        > the client on a "psuedoObject", so I don't understand how to merge
        > the two notions.

        in OO notation it might be:

        [server]

        package PersistentHandler;

        my $handler;

        sub new {
        $handler ||= initHandler();
        }

        sub initHandler {
        # like in usual new()
        }

        [client]

        use SOAP::Lite +autodispatch => ...;

        my $handler = PersistentHandler->new;

        Arun Kumar also recommended Class::Singleton instead of handwritting
        or new/initHandler.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- "Ivan R. Judson" <judson@...> wrote:

        > Hey Paul,
        >
        > In the first thread below there's a conversation about a persistant
        > handler,
        > with methods getHandler and initHandler. This is almost exactly
        > like what I
        > want to do, except I want to do it OO on the server side. Perhaps
        > I'm
        > missing something (wouldn't be new), but I'd like to use
        > autodispatch from
        > the client on a "psuedoObject", so I don't understand how to merge
        > the two
        > notions.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > --Ivan

      • Ivan R. Judson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19 12:39 PM
          Hey Paul,

          I was thinking it looked like that. Good to know I wasn't off too far.
          I'll probably write this by hand for now, then I'll search for example code
          with the Singleton thing (it sounds good to leverage).

          Thanks for all your help. When this is working, I'll send you a pointer to
          the stuff I've done. In the meantime, I can simply describe it as a control
          system for an Access Grid node (http://www.accessgrid.org/ for information
          on the general project).

          Thanks again!

          --Ivan

        • Rob Torop
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
            1. If $x is the result of a SOAP::Lite call, how can I print an XML
            representation of $x? I was hoping that SOAP::SOM would have an asString
            method or something.

            2. Suppose I need to write a service that generates responses that look
            like this:

            <SOAP-ENV:Envelope ... usual stuff ... >
            <SOAP-ENV:Body>
            <m:doSomethingResponse xmlns:m="Fish">
            <fish name="mackerel" shoeSize="9E"/>
            <fish name="dorade" shoeSize="8A">
            <comment>scrumptious</comment>
            </fish>
            </m:doSomethingResponse>
            </SOAP-ENV:Body>
            </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

            I know how to use attr in SOAP::Data, but I can't figure out how to
            create _exactly_ such a structure: my problem is the nested <comment>
            tag.

            Thanks!