two questions

  • judson@mcs.anl.gov
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18, 2001
      1) When will 0.51 be available in activestate perl :-)

      2) how do you have a persistant object on the server side?

      --Ivan
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18, 2001
        Hi, Ivan!

        --- judson@... wrote:
        > 1) When will 0.51 be available in activestate perl :-)
        It's available in activestate perl ;). It's just not bundled with it
        by default (they use 0.46 as far as I know). You can upgrade to 0.51
        using CPAN or simply copying lib/ directory from SOAP::Lite package
        to /perl/site/lib (or similar, depending on your configuration).

        > 2) how do you have a persistant object on the server side?
        It depends on what you mean under "persistant object" ;). There were
        at least two discussions on this topic on this list. You may take a
        look there for examples and details:

        Let me know if you need more information on that.

      • Ivan R. Judson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2001
          Hey Paul,

          In the first thread below there's a conversation about a persistant handler,
          with methods getHandler and initHandler. This is almost exactly like what I
          want to do, except I want to do it OO on the server side. Perhaps I'm
          missing something (wouldn't be new), but I'd like to use autodispatch from
          the client on a "psuedoObject", so I don't understand how to merge the two
          notions.

          Thoughts?

          --Ivan

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 19, 2001
            Hi, Ivan!

            > with methods getHandler and initHandler. This is almost exactly
            > like what I
            > want to do, except I want to do it OO on the server side. Perhaps
            > I'm
            > missing something (wouldn't be new), but I'd like to use
            > autodispatch from
            > the client on a "psuedoObject", so I don't understand how to merge
            > the two notions.

            in OO notation it might be:

            [server]

            package PersistentHandler;

            my $handler;

            sub new {
            $handler ||= initHandler();
            }

            sub initHandler {
            # like in usual new()
            }

            [client]

            use SOAP::Lite +autodispatch => ...;

            my $handler = PersistentHandler->new;

            Arun Kumar also recommended Class::Singleton instead of handwritting
            or new/initHandler.

            Best wishes, Paul.

            --- "Ivan R. Judson" <judson@...> wrote:

            > Hey Paul,
            >
            > In the first thread below there's a conversation about a persistant
            > handler,
            > with methods getHandler and initHandler. This is almost exactly
            > like what I
            > want to do, except I want to do it OO on the server side. Perhaps
            > I'm
            > missing something (wouldn't be new), but I'd like to use
            > autodispatch from
            > the client on a "psuedoObject", so I don't understand how to merge
            > the two
            > notions.
            >
            > Thoughts?
            >
            > --Ivan

          • Ivan R. Judson
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 19, 2001
              Hey Paul,

              I was thinking it looked like that. Good to know I wasn't off too far.
              I'll probably write this by hand for now, then I'll search for example code
              with the Singleton thing (it sounds good to leverage).

              Thanks for all your help. When this is working, I'll send you a pointer to
              the stuff I've done. In the meantime, I can simply describe it as a control
              system for an Access Grid node (http://www.accessgrid.org/ for information
              on the general project).

              Thanks again!

              --Ivan

            • Rob Torop
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
                1. If $x is the result of a SOAP::Lite call, how can I print an XML
                representation of $x? I was hoping that SOAP::SOM would have an asString
                method or something.

                2. Suppose I need to write a service that generates responses that look
                like this:

                <SOAP-ENV:Envelope ... usual stuff ... >
                <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                <m:doSomethingResponse xmlns:m="Fish">
                <fish name="mackerel" shoeSize="9E"/>
                <fish name="dorade" shoeSize="8A">
                <comment>scrumptious</comment>
                </fish>
                </m:doSomethingResponse>
                </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                I know how to use attr in SOAP::Data, but I can't figure out how to
                create _exactly_ such a structure: my problem is the nested <comment>
                tag.

                Thanks!