Daemon process

  • Ray Rizzuto
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hi!

      I'm using the SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon for my server side. The
      machine running the server (saw) has 2 lan connections. If I use

      use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
      -> new (LocalAddr => 'saw', LocalPort => 1025)
      -> dispatch_to('Demo')
      ;

      I can only service clients connecting to the 1st IP address.

      I found that if I don't specify the LocalAddr, as shown below, either
      address works:

      use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
      -> new (LocalPort => 1025)
      -> dispatch_to('Demo')
      ;

      Is this the expected behavior? Could this be added to the
      documentation?

      Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        Hi, Ray!

        > Is this the expected behavior? Could this be added to the
        > documentation?
        Short answers are Yes and No (it's documented in HTTP::Daemon and I
        tried to introduce as few changes as possible into underlying
        modules).
        Here is the perfect answer from Michael Percy:

        --- Michael Percy <mpercy@...> wrote:
        When using the Daemon, if you do not specify LocalAddr then you can
        access it with any hostname/IP alias, including localhost or
        127.0.0.1. If you specify LocalAddr in
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon->new() then you can only access it from
        that interface. Also, specifying "Multihomed => 1" can be helpful on
        boxes with multiple network interfaces.

        Regards,
        Mike

        --- Ray Rizzuto <ray.rizzuto@...> wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > I'm using the SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon for my server side.
        > The
        > machine running the server (saw) has 2 lan connections. If I use
        >
        > use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
        > my $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
        > -> new (LocalAddr => 'saw', LocalPort => 1025)
        > -> dispatch_to('Demo')
        > ;
        >
        > I can only service clients connecting to the 1st IP address.
        >
        > I found that if I don't specify the LocalAddr, as shown below,
        > either
        > address works:
        >
        > use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
        > my $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
        > -> new (LocalPort => 1025)
        > -> dispatch_to('Demo')
        > ;
        >
        > Is this the expected behavior? Could this be added to the
        > documentation?
        >
        > Ray

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Ray Rizzuto
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
          Paul,

          I found that even the HTTP::Daemon package doesn't describe LocalAddr - it defers you to IO::Socket::INET!

          I think your daemon examples shouldn't specify LocalAddr since it's more likely that a server process would want to bind on ALL addresses.

          Ray

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
            Hi, Ray!

            --- Ray Rizzuto <ray.rizzuto@...> wrote:
            > I found that even the HTTP::Daemon package doesn't describe
            > LocalAddr - it defers you to IO::Socket::INET!
            >
            > I think your daemon examples shouldn't specify LocalAddr since it's
            > more likely that a server process would want to bind on ALL
            addresses.
            Good point. Will do. At least will mention both cases. Thanks.

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/