Asynchronous SOAP::Lite Calls with Apache::SOAP

  • ross@coreference.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13, 2001
      Hi all,

      I am using Apache::SOAP to run SOAP server under mod_perl.
      Normally, if I wanted to return immediately from a method under
      mod_perl, I would install a cleanup_handler (aka post_connection) and
      return. Presto! asynchronous calls!

      Under Apache::SOAP, I don't have access to the Apache::Request
      object, so I'm stuck.

      Any way I can access the Apache::Request object? I didn't look
      like it from the source.

      Any other ideas?

      Thanks, Aaron
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 13, 2001
        Hi, Aaron!

        You may take a look into SOAP::Apache module. Both Apache::SOAP
        (mod_soap) and SOAP::Apache (example of mod_perl handler) are
        implementations on top of SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Apache. Apache::SOAP
        gives you a flexibility in configuration and SOAP::Apache gives you
        an access to request object. In most cases both should be available
        to you, so you just need to choose which one suits your needs best.
        If you have ideas on how to combine their features in one module, let
        me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- ross@... wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am using Apache::SOAP to run SOAP server under mod_perl.
        > Normally, if I wanted to return immediately from a method under
        > mod_perl, I would install a cleanup_handler (aka post_connection)
        > and
        > return. Presto! asynchronous calls!
        >
        > Under Apache::SOAP, I don't have access to the
        > Apache::Request
        > object, so I'm stuck.
        >
        > Any way I can access the Apache::Request object? I didn't
        > look
        > like it from the source.
        >
        > Any other ideas?
        >
        > Thanks, Aaron

      • Aaron E. Ross
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2001
          On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:19:46AM -0700, Paul Kulchenko wrote:
          Paul>
          Paul> Hi, Aaron!
          Paul> You may take a look into SOAP::Apache module. Both Apache::SOAP
          Paul> (mod_soap) and SOAP::Apache (example of mod_perl handler) are

          Thanks Paul.. I didn't now about SOAP::Apache, I will take a look.

          Paul> If you have ideas on how to combine their features in one module, let
          Paul> me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

          Will do!

          Aaron
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14, 2001
            Hi, Aaron!

            btw, I just gon an advice from Geoffrey Young to change handler in
            Apache::SOAP to something like this:

            sub handler ($$) {
            my $self = shift;
            my $server = $self->new;
            $server->configure(@_);
            $server->SUPER::handler(@_);
            }

            Let me know if it works for you, I'll update the code then. Thank
            you.

            Best wishes, Paul.

            --- "Aaron E. Ross" <ross@...> wrote:
            > On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:19:46AM -0700, Paul Kulchenko wrote:
            > Paul>
            > Paul> Hi, Aaron!
            > Paul> You may take a look into SOAP::Apache module. Both
            > Apache::SOAP
            > Paul> (mod_soap) and SOAP::Apache (example of mod_perl handler)
            > are
            >
            > Thanks Paul.. I didn't now about SOAP::Apache, I will take a look.
            >
            > Paul> If you have ideas on how to combine their features in one
            > module, let
            > Paul> me know, I would greatly appreciate it.
            >
            > Will do!
            >
            > Aaron

          • Aaron E. Ross
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 14, 2001
              Paul>
              Paul> btw, I just gon an advice from Geoffrey Young to change handler in
              Paul> Apache::SOAP to something like this:
              Paul> sub handler ($$) {
              Paul> my $self = shift;
              Paul> my $server = $self->new;
              Paul> $server->configure(@_);
              Paul> $server->SUPER::handler(@_);
              Paul> }

              That's a nice trick to get the multiple inheritance. It doesn't quite solve
              my problem, but it does give me another place to work on it.

              Paul> Let me know if it works for you, I'll update the code then. Thank

              worked fine for all my tests.

              thanks, aaron
            • Aaron E. Ross
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 14, 2001
                On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 03:41:04PM -0400, Aaron E. Ross wrote:
                > Paul>
                > Paul> btw, I just gon an advice from Geoffrey Young to change handler in
                > Paul> Apache::SOAP to something like this:
                > Paul> sub handler ($$) {
                > Paul> my $self = shift;
                > Paul> my $server = $self->new;
                > Paul> $server->configure(@_);
                > Paul> $server->SUPER::handler(@_);
                > Paul> }
                >
                > That's a nice trick to get the multiple inheritance. It doesn't quite solve
                > my problem, but it does give me another place to work on it.

                Oops. I misunderstood that code. Can you explain to me what happens when
                the Apache::Request object is passed into configure and handler
                as the first arg. Can I access it later? or does it disappear?

                Thanks, Aaron