Re: DATA Confused

  • jleone@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2001
      Hi Paul,

      Some of what you wrote went a little over my head, but I followed
      your lead to go read the SOM docs. From them I got dataof and
      valueof to work on the client. So, I got named parameters coming
      back in both VB and Perl!

      I'm going to ask the Perl guru's to go over the code you just
      supplied, is this for a client or a server? To me it looks like the
      source code of SOM, is that correct?

      Also, can you use the SOM code to parse the incoming data to the
      server. If I can get names in there then we wouldn't have to be
      concerned over what order the data is when it's passed. That may
      prove useful, because it's a cross platform development, with
      different developer's working on different parts.

      By the way, Thanks so much! Your advice is helping me get the SOAP
      part of the project off the ground.

      John.

      > Hi, John!
      >
      > > Does this send <blah>12</blah> maybe with an xsd integer or
      > > something thrown in?
      > yes.
      >
      > > I've seen parse an array of parameters, whereas I want to
      reference
      > > them by name. Is this possible?
      > yes. here is the prototype:
      >
      > package ...;
      >
      > use vars '@ISA'; @ISA = 'SOAP::Server::Parameters';
      >
      > sub paramsByNameOrOrder {
      > my $self = shift;
      > my($a, $b, $c) = byNameOrOrder([qw(a b c)], @_);
      >
      > # ...
      > }
      >
      > # -------------------------------------------------------------
      >
      > sub byNameOrOrder {
      > my $params = pop->method;
      > my @mandatory = @{shift()} if ref $_[0] eq 'ARRAY';
      > my $byname = 0;
      > my @res = map { $byname += exists $params->{$_}; $params->{$_} }
      > @mandatory;
      > return $byname ? @res : @_;
      > }
      >
      > sub byName {
      > return @{pop->method}{ref $_[0] eq 'ARRAY' ? @{shift()} :
      die "list
      > of parameters expected as the first parameter for byName"};
      > }
      >
      > similar methods will be available, so you can just use them. Take a
      > look into SOAP::SOM section in documentation for more information.
      > Hope it helps.
      >
      > Best wishes, Paul.
      >
      > --- jleone@n... wrote:
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > Now that I got the stuff doing the basics, I'm attempting to do
      > > something more complicated. My ultimate goal is to send several
      > > pieces of data in a request and several pieces back.
      > >
      > > This is what I have on the server end.
      > >
      > > #!perl -w
      > > use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
      > > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
      > > -> dispatch_to('Demo')
      > > -> handle ;
      > > package Demo;
      > > sub hi {
      > > return SOAP::Data->name('blah')->value(12);
      > > }
      > >
      > > Does this send <blah>12</blah> maybe with an xsd integer or
      > > something
      > > thrown in? If it does, then I've achieved step 1. Step 2, would
      > > be
      > > to parse this. The closest I've come is using the control from
      VB
      > > and in my result I get the 12, but for the life of me, I can't
      > > figure
      > > out how to reference it as 'blah' something or other. I want to
      > > achieve this in both Perl and VB on the client side. The
      examples
      > > I've seen parse an array of parameters, whereas I want to
      reference

      > > them by name. Is this possible?
      > >
      > > Any insights would be appreciated,
      > >
      > > John.