RE: [soaplite] Re: Install on Windows 98 NT 2000

  • Peter Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
      I've just downloaded the latest SOAP::Lite .zip and it compiles fine here.

      'perl Makefile.PL' the 'nmake' and it builds fine. I did have to install the
      MIME::Lite ppm, but I got that straight from ActiveState.

      My configuration is Win2000 SP1 and .NET SDK installed for 'nmake'

      I didn't install as this version of ppm requires SOAP::Lite and didn't let
      me remove the 0.43 version!

      PW.

      Peter Wilkinson
      pwilkinson@...

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
        I have built SOAP::Lite on windows...
        Just install the required modules that are listed on www.soaplite.com with
        ppm. Then, download the zip or the tar file and install it like it is
        described in the readme. Here is a sample

        Open a dos prompt. Go to the directory that you unzipped soap lite into.
        - type "perl makefile.pl"
        - type "nmake"
        - type "nmake test"
        - type "nmake install"

        done

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
          Erm..

          --Screen Cut--
          PPM> search SOAP
          Packages available from
          http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/
          PPMServer:
          SOAP-AutoInvoke [0.25] SOAP mod_perl handler
          SOAP-Lite [0.40] Library for SOAP clients and servers in Perl

          > Any tips on installing this for ActiveState on Windows? There is no
          > PPM that I can see. Unix installation is a breeze, but using the
          > Unix procedure and NMAKE on Windows does not work well. Does someone
          > have an ActiveState PPM for Windows are ideas on how to make one
          > (besides "Read ActiveState documentation" which I've already done to
          > no avail)?
        • Duncan Cameron
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
            Peter/Allie et al

            Installing SOAP-Lite 0.46 works fine with Active State version 5.005_03, build 522, on Windows 98.

            As James Fisher wrote, the standard mantra works but I use

            perl makefile.pl
            nmake
            nmake test
            perl -mHtmlHelp -e "HtmlHelp::MakeHtmlTree('blib/lib', 'blib/html/lib/site', 2)"
            ppm install

            The last two commands mean that the SOAP-Lite pod is turned into html and integrated into the Active State table of contents, and that PPM is now aware of the package (so it appears if you do ppm query).

            Paul - it might be an idea to provide a PPM-ready version in addition to the Unix and Win32 versions. I don't know whether such a version would vary across different Active State distributions, but I can provide one for the version identified above.

            Regards,
            Duncan Cameron

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
              Hi, Duncan!

              Thank you, I'll include it in docs.

              > Paul - it might be an idea to provide a PPM-ready version in
              > addition to the Unix and Win32 versions. I don't know whether such
              > a version would vary across different Active State distributions,
              > but I can provide one for the version identified above.
              Yes, I'm working on it. It would be great if you could do it for
              5.005 version of ActivePerl and I'll do it for 5.6. Thank you.

              Best wishes, Paul.

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • Peter Wilkinson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                Thanks Duncan,
                The build and install and tests work fine on Win2000 SP1, ActiveState v5.6.0
                build 623, using the .NET SDK nmake.

                I like the 'ppm install', I was not aware it would install from source like
                that.

                PW.

                On 2001-02-07 at 02:44:00, Peter Wilkinson <pwilkinson@...>
                wrote concerning 'RE: [soaplite] Re: Install on Windows 98 NT 2000':
                >I've just downloaded the latest SOAP::Lite .zip and it compiles fine here.
                >
                >'perl Makefile.PL' the 'nmake' and it builds fine. I did have to install
                the
                >MIME::Lite ppm, but I got that straight from ActiveState.
                >
                >My configuration is Win2000 SP1 and .NET SDK installed for 'nmake'
                >
                >I didn't install as this version of ppm requires SOAP::Lite and didn't let
                >me remove the 0.43 version!
                >
                >PW.
                >
                >Peter Wilkinson
                >pwilkinson@...

              • Peter Wilkinson
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                  Duncan,
                  I didn't get the htmlhelp part to work though - I can't find the module,
                  where is that located???

                  PW.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
                      On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:16:10 -0500 , "Fisher, James" <jfisher@...>
                      wrote:

                      >That is not created by default. Here are your options.
                      >
                      >1. (The option I use) Open a cmd prompt and type "perldoc SOAP::Lite".
                      >type "perldoc perldoc" if you have any questions.

                      >2. There is a bat called pod2html.bat which will convert it to html, but I
                      >have never used it. If you want it to show up on that nice html index for
                      >the activestate docs you may have to open up the file and add it. There is
                      >an automated way to do this, but I would have to look it up.

                      Yes, pod2html is the command for converting the PODs to HTML. You must
                      then install your HTML docs into the perl/html/site/lib branch.

                      You can automatically recreate the "Table Of Contents" by running:

                      perl -MActivePerl::DocTools -eActivePerl::DocTools::WriteTOC

                      -Jan