Setuid root.

  • francis_reader@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26 12:30 PM
      I'm trying to run some local soap services which need root
      priviledge. The server is run on demand from a non-root user. The
      obvious solution would be to run the soap server with setuid root,
      however as soon as you do, several problems occur.

      If you have a port address of 80, the example soap daemon errors with:
      Can't get host name of local machine.

      If you have a port address of 8000, it errors with:
      Can't create Daemon, bad file descriptor.

      Hmm.

      The obvious workaround is to run the daemon from root, however it has
      to be brought up/down on demand from a user program.

      BTW: The system I'm running is a reasonably standard Linux RedHat61.

      TIA Francis