Re: Sending file attachments

  • jackx888@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2001
      So does that mean there is not a way to generate a SOAP rpc call with
      attachments in accordance to w3c spec
      http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-attachments
      programmatically using SOAP::Lite?

      I am working with an apache soap service that expects file attachment
      in such format. I realize i can easily send the post request through
      standard HTTP connections, since the file is the only variable. But
      that means I have to parse the response manually. Or can I call
      deserializer on the response?

      Thanks.

      -jack

      > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
      > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
      > > files
      > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
      > If you just need to send files here and there you can use base64
      > encoded elements (at least it's what I'm doing).
      >
      > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
      explanations.
      > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
      some
      > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
      > > explanation and an example.
      > SOAP::Lite supports MIME messages only on parsing side and doesn't
      > not create them right now. There are only a few toolkits available
      > that support that, so if you want to be interoperable your best bet
      > is still base64. Even if there will be more than one toolkit
      > available there was no interop tests between MIME transfers yet, and
      > though I'm pretty sure I did everything according to spec, my
      reading
      > can be different from someone's else (and from authors also).
      >
      > At the same time I'm working on MIME generation also and future
      > versions of SOAP::Lite may support it.
      >
      > Best wishes, Paul.
      >
      > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
      > > Hi
      > >
      > > Sorry if this is an easy question, I searched through the
      archives.

      > > But I was looking for a more simple explanation. I have been
      > > working
      > > with soap::lite for a few weeks now and I understand the basics
      of
      > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
      > > files
      > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
      > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
      explanations.
      > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
      some

      > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
      > > explanation and an example.
      > >
      > > Thanks for the help

      Messenger
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2001
        Hi, Jack!

        Yes, there is no way to generate attachments right now, but you
        shouldn't have any problems accepting those though. SOAP generation
        is on my todo list, but it's not a top priority (although it's in top
        ten).

        > But
        > that means I have to parse the response manually. Or can I call
        > deserializer on the response?
        You don't need to do anything special with responses. You get
        attachments as element values:

        --MIME_boundary

        123

        element <a> will have value 123 after processing. some required MIME
        headers are skipped. You may take a look into t/04-attach.t for more
        information.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/